Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I bought 1/2 oz and 1 oz to start. I didn’t want to it all sizes inbetween and was afraid to go larger for now. I grabbed some plugs also and a few of those Spanish candy metal swim bait I guess you would consider them? Salt is so much different. Been fishing all my life and when I come down here I feel like an idiot.
As soon as we get unpacked I’ll get my 3 bottom rig poles setup and then I’ll re spoon the / casting rods. Hopefully we can get out for 6 pm high tide tonight. Would be a nice time to throw. Then tomorrow morning hit it hard. Lol cast and retrieve will be new for me. My bottom rig game is tight. No more switching that up. Same thing every year now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Generally I will use 2oz and at times even 3 or 4 oz. Lot depends on conditions and wind. If you had been on the OBX a few weeks ago you would understand. You're in a little more protected location so you may have good luck with the lighter stuff....We all have a routine, I often get 3-4 rods ready for rigs for whiting,croaker, pomps,etc. then will ALWAYS have a couple rods set up for plugs ready to go. Then most often have a couple drum set ups ready along with possibly one Blue rod rigged up. Like Braveheart, I didn't get all dressed up for nothing. That's why I have 8 rods on the front and several on the rod holder on the tool box. Plus a rolling tackle shop in my truck. I play hard and even my wife says I am insane.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That’s how I am for back home on the boat. Bit coming down here 5 is my max. For 2 times a year.
This morning sucked. A lot of hits no hook ups. Everything must be small. I’m using 1/0 circle mutu hooks. I really don’t want to go down. Right now I’m just using 2 drop loop rigs and throwing 1 oz spoons or switching to the plug. I haven’t fished a low tide yet. Today 12 is low so I’ll be able to see what’s going on. I have a feeling the beach is very very very flat all the way out to low tide like it was further down from us last year and it sucked down there. Our area was nice rolling up and down to have nice holes when the tide was in or out with a trough. Not like that this year I don’t think at least.
I’m a little frustrated right now. I got to settle in.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What a crap surf fishing week it was with thst king ride. The seaweed was out of control. First trip in years I was striking out day after day. At least I forgot sleep in more.
I did take my son out for 4 hours to see how he handled being at sea. Trial by fire with 4 foot waves and 20 knot winds. He got a bit sick bit had a great time. He wanted shark and we got him shark. 3 nice black tips. He had a ball bringing them in. We tried to troll but the kings would not cooperate so we bottom fished. Bunch of keeper bass bot he had non stop action on smaller bass along with typical bottom stuff. 1 non legal grouper. He got to see a huge school of jacks swim around us. Tried to throw at them but they were not having it. All in all a very fun for 4 hrs for him. August we are taking him out for a full day out to some spots the guide we went in said has been very good to them this season. I have gone with him before. I really like him. Really really nice guy and his first mate is really fun to fish with also.

Was a great trip though. Oh for anyone who lives on the island. Did u check out the new pie lady? The apple pie is awesome!! Fractured prune changed name also. No one knew why. Same owner I found out. Did the company rebadge its self?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts