Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a good yesterday on the Jolly Roger. Early morning was active with Chopper Blues and Spanish to around 24". Wind was offshore. The middle of the day was calm and slow. As the tide turned to come in so did the wind and a variety of species were caught including Black Drum, Pompano, a Speckled Trout, Rays, Skate, Shark (up to 36") and more Blues, which were all up and down the pier. The highlight of the day was a 50lb+ Cobia that hit a king rig mid afternoon and was beached just over an hour later about a half-mile south of the pier. It was the first fish to a king rig on the pier this year. I'll post a photo when I get it delevoped. Cut fish and shrimp were the predominant baits. Another king rig customer was a juvenile gannet, which was unhooked and released to fly off after a couple of minutes paddling. Judging by the carcasses on the beach at the foot of the pier there have been large (30") Spanish and Blues around recently.

·
Registered
285 Posts
FishRung, welcome to the board and thanks for the update :)
what's the cost for king fishing there and the pier rules?

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I believe it is $ 15 on the Topsail Island piers. It was $ 10 a couple years ago and since they have gone to $ 8 per rod for the regular guys, I assume they went up on the king rigs. :(

Oh well, they charge .50 to a buck just to walk out now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
man prices are going up everywhere. I stick ta oceancrest :) great people reasonable rates ect...

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
823 Posts
the jolly roger was just $10 /day last year. geez the must be expecting a big storm season. they need to be careful. soon it will be cheaper to buy a boat than fish from the piers. if anyone goes down to the J.R. fill me in. first trip down for me will be the end of june

1 - 5 of 5 Posts