Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived at South Topsail Wed. night and decided to put my King Rig out early Thursday morning at the Jolly Rodger since the water looked good. Fished from sun up till sun down with only one short run of the clicker on a fellow fisherman's rig but none of the hooks connected. Did manage some nice Spanish with one being around 16” and a few blues on the Gotcha plug and Diamond Jig. Spots started running that evening for about an hour. Returned on Friday morning and got my rig out again before sun up, managed a few more Spanish and blues on the plugs and around lunch started seeing schools of Menhaden which one of the guys netted a couple of batches with some being close to 12" long. Didn't have any strikes on the King Rigs but one guy was reeling in a blue that he just hooked on a Gotcha and one exploded on it and cut it almost in half. Saturday decided to go to the surf for maybe some drum action at daylight since the NE front had came through and that turned out to be not such a good idea. Ended up with a couple of short flounder and my partner lost a nice sized red. Fished from 7:30am-4:00pm in the blowing rain with not much to show for, but the worst part was when I got back and found out they that one of the guys had landed a 16lb king and lost another at the pier. Would have loved to seen that but somehow I always make the wrong decisions. Left Sunday morning around 10:00am to head back west but had to stop by the pier to see what was happing. They were still catching Spanish and blues on the plugs and the menhaden was still around in schools around the surf. All in all a pretty good weekend and a whole lot better than working. Tight lines. :fishing:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice report - thanks for the details. How crowded was the pier on Sat / Sun? I might try to shoot down this weekend to throw some plugs but I don't want to battle the spot crowds...

(what time does Jolly Roger open in the morning - or are they 24 hours at this point...)

·
Registered
149 Posts
im heading down to jolly roger too this weekend. Are the crowds bad yet?, and also do yall think its worth trying to surf fish at the south end for drum?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mr. T

Thanks for the phone call, I was going to call you again and meet you out there but was not up for another soggy day (i had just done that the week before) looks like you still got into some fish so I hope you enjoyed yourself. Im going to try to sneak down tomorrow. What color GOTCHAS were the spanish taking..thats next on the agenda!!! Nice Report

David

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Topsail

Crowds were building up later Sunday morning when I left, if the water ever gets dingy then I'm sure the spot bite will get cranked real good and so will the crowd. Best advice is to hit it on a Thursday or Friday and yes the pier is 24hrs with the store being open at 6:00am. Hey Screamin' as for the colors I had best luck with white with Red head and White with Carolina Blue Heads, but to be honest with you most of the spanish was hitting the diamond jig with 4 or 5 gold hooks above it on the leader. Kinda of what they call a "Mackeral Rig". I'm not sure when I will be back down for the next fishing trip but hopfully we can get together and do some fishing next time. I know I will for sure be back down in May if not before. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts