Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this nice red my nephew caught in the surf at Topsail Beach. He caught him on a Pin Fish Head on a drum rig I made and sent him before he left for Topsail. The Rig was 3ft Fish Finder made of 80 lb Ande Mono with a snelled 7/0 VMC 8382BN Circle Hook.:beer:

So as you can see, the Reds are in the surf in SENC.:fishing::fishing:

http://pierandsurf.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4752&cat=500

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
nice red ,good coloring.thanks for the report!!! tight lines...

·
Registered
149 Posts
nice fish....im at topsail right now and have been surf fishing all week...only caught some small sharks and blues....but the crabs tear up the cut bait within five minutes of the cast....only way to keep them off is using live bait with a balloon from the pier, but that doesn't really work from the surf...any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
nice fish....im at topsail right now and have been surf fishing all week...only caught some small sharks and blues....but the crabs tear up the cut bait within five minutes of the cast....only way to keep them off is using live bait with a balloon from the pier, but that doesn't really work from the surf...any suggestions?
If you can find some peeler crab, use that as bait, if not hard crab will work. Pups love crab.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He says he found a honey hole where the trough washes out to the ocean.

Must be true because the previous day, he caught 7-8 whiting and a few spots on shrimp in the surf..

Must be the rigs I made him:D:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can find some peeler crab, use that as bait, if not hard crab will work. Pups love crab.
Hard crab actually makes for great bait. I use to work on charters in the Cheasapeake bay and when peelers were hard to come by we would buy females by the bushel which were very cheap compard to peelers(PRO). There is a littler more work to cut the baits and remove much of the shell(CON), but the flesh holds to the nuckles better such that the bait stays on the hook longer (PRO). Caught many a seatrout by tipping a bucktail with FRESH bait from hardcrab!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Guys, that was one more fun fish to catch! I caught a pinfish about 30 minutes prior to that and tossed him in the cooler, thinking I'd maybe use him as sharkbait. I rigged the head on one of Firelines rigs and heaved it out there. I sat back in my chair grabbed a cool one from the cooler only to be interrupted by wife saying, "Honey! Look at your rod!" I looked up and saw it bowed about half way down and it pulling drag out towards Africa! At first I was thinking, man I hope this isn't a ray. My second thought was, maybe it's a nice shark. When I could finally see what it was..............WooHoo!

Needless to say, I am hooked on redfishing now!

Turfrooster............if you want to I'll be fishing out of the public access area at Craven Ave this evening. Meet me down there and maybe we can get hooked up. I'll have on a tan Columbia baseball hat.

I wasn't able to get in the hole this morning............to many people in front of it. I'm hoping this evening will kind of clear some people away.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nephew;

Your gonna have to get up with me this a fall we will pull and all nighters at the Fort. Thats when the big reds come in to feed.:fishing:

·
Registered
149 Posts
hey topsailsurf.....is that towards the north end?...im just south of jolly roger right now. i might try to meet you later in the evening though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Turf

That access point is north of Surf City Pier. Go past Herrings Bait and Tackle, it'll be on your left, on Hwy 210. Once you pass The Dunes condos start looking on your right. When you pass Mecklenburg, on your right, the next road is Craven, again on your right. Take Craven and the access will be straight ahead.

We are back at home now:mad:but if you want to try out that spot go right ahead. When you get on the beach go left to the second set of stairs. That's where that trough/hole was. Even last evening at high tide, I could tell the water was deeper there than where I was fishing.

When I got there, there were some people swimming in that spot. I fished 2 rods about 30 yds down from them and caught nothing. I waded out even with them. When they were shoulder deep I was was waist deep. When they left, I grabbed my light rod, re-baited with some fresh shrimp, and in the 30 minutes I had left before dark caught a very nice mullet, a 2lb blue, lost another nice fish, and finally wound up with a puffer fish.

All in all, in the 2 days I was really able to fish there (it rained all day Tuesday), I caught 10 mullet, 2 pinfish, a BIG Redfish, a 3 lb black drum, a 2 lb blue, and a puffer.

Now if Oct will just hurry up and get here so I can fill my cooler with a lot of spots!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts