Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so me and a friend will be making a day trip this coming Tuesday to Topsail. We will probably try to plug some in the morning for blues, and then will be going to surf fish the rest of the day. Now, I have almost next to no experience with surf fishing. For this time of year, what would you suggest we do? I am assuming we will use a fish finder rig as well as a high low rig, but what about baits? We arent really targeting anything in particular, just wanting to learn more about surf fishing. I have never caught a drum though, so I would love to hang one, but really this trip I will be happy with whatever we can catch.

Any tips at all will be really appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fished there on a day trip 2 weeks ago, mainly the south end. The Far south end/inlet looked packed with trucks, so I didn't mess with it. The beach at that end of the island is generally either flat for a long way out, or fairly steep with a cut 4-6' deep at high tide 20' off the beach. I have had a lot of luck over the years fishing the cuts, blues, flounder, drum, mullet, pompano, most everything. It is easy to over throw the cut and fish on the bar, not much happening there. Basically mid tide to high, then again high to mid tide are productive in the cuts. Low tide is mostly a waste. Look for muddy water running straight out from the beach, fish the cut on either side. Or fish the sound side of the inlet, varying productivity there. I have caught lots of fish, no fish, and in between on the sound side of the inlet between the kayak launch and inlet itself. Gulps and live finger mullet work well, fishing again less than 20' out, slow retrieve or let the tide wash it down the bank to catch trout, drum, flounder, occasional blue, and lizard fish. Good luck.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Shrimp, fresh shrimp, not the stuff in frozen tubs, will catch a good variety of fish. Think light tackle, 9ft rods, 12lb test line, 3oz sinkers, double hook rig without wire. Stop in at East Coast Sports, they will tell you exactly where to go and will have bait, rigs and other items you might need.
We used to go down the first week in November for several years and always had decent fishing; puppy drum, trout, blues, black drum, flounder, mullet, etc............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.