Pier and Surf Forum banner

Topsail 6/19 - 6/21

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jdiesel 
#1 ·
Got back to Topsail this past weekend, weather was much nicer this time around so we got to stay the full 3 days.

Arrived Friday, got on the beach by early afternoon. Found a very pronounced trough all along the beach, and it was nearing low tide by the time we got out there. Nothing going on inside the trough, but managed a few small spots and whiting over the outer bar. Had one good hit on a piece of shrimp cast as far as I could throw it, and it turned bout to be a 16" whiting. My largest to date, and I was sure I had an under-slot drum until I took a really close look. I did catch fish on fleas, but they were hard to come by even with the rake.

We took a break for dinner and mini-golf, then I got back on the beach a bit before sunset. Closer to high tide I managed a few small whiting and barely-eating-size spots in the trough, but overall the bite was slow. Nothing but crabs on cut bait, unfortunately.

Saturday morning I was on the beach by 5:45AM, hoping to get into spanish on metal. Surf was a little rambunctious, even though the ocean was smooth, and the longshore current was intense. In addition I didn't see any bait pods or jumping fish, so I put the spoon away after a few casts and focused on panfish. Unfortunately fishing was slow, only managed a couple small fish before 8AM. Tried the entire time for fleas in the rake, but struck out. Returned about 10:30 AM for more of the same -- small whiting, spots, pinfish over the bar. Setup next to an outsuck, and a neighbor on the opposite side of it managed an 18" red while I was out there. He caught it on a sandflea he lucked upon. Not much later a couple kids playing on the outer bar wandered into the outsuck and were in trouble -- luckily a couple adults nearby heard/saw them and dragged them to safety. Those kids were done with the water after that, and I hope my 5 year-old learned a valuable lesson as he watched it all unfold.

I intended to fish the south end that evening, but a long line of storms and rain washed out those plans. Once the weather cleared I fished a private dock on the waterway. Plenty of small croakers and spots there, but that was it. I played around with live shrimp to no avail, and only had crabs messing with fresh cut bait. De-finned live pinfish went unmolested a couple of hours, at which time it mysteriously vanished from the hook. Overall fishing was s-l-o-w.

We had all had enough Sunday morning, so I packed up while the kids played in the pool until checkout time. Word on the street there was the got-cha plug crowd on the piers was doing well early AM, as they should this time of year. Heard tale of a couple big pompano around, but overall it seemed slow on the surf side.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was there the week of 6/7 - 6/14 staying on the south end. I had to go to North Topsail to get my fleas, there is a stretch of beach there that usually holds 'em. Weather was bad and only fished 2-3 days. Caught a decent pomp (1.5lbs) the first day then caught a monster (3+ lbs) the next day. Plenty of mullet. Had to mostly use fishbites as the bait stealers/pickers were bad in the surf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.