Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ Top Water ]

i was just wondering top water baits are good for fresh water watching that bait get blowed up by a fat bass or pike . how about a little info for the salt water side of this thread anyone know ? :p** dont do that in my boat !!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Buzz bait at dawn. 12 large mouth in 2 hours all between 12 and 17 inches last weekend. My best bassin day ever. Work the edges of vegetation and banks. start your retrieve before the buzz bait hits the water and it wont sink. Dont set the hook until your feel the fish.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have not used a buzz bait for salt water but I see
no reason why not.

Last year I used spinner baits for puppy drum and
they slammed them Gold blades and chartreuse
body/skirt.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My burn. I thought we were talking freshwater. I could read last week, I promise. In the salt I like big floating Rapalas. I just kind of twitch 'em along.

D

·
0 Posts
The only floating stuff I've used in the salt on spinning gear was poppers, and rat-l-traps or mirrolures. Worked ok, for me. But I've only used it in back water.

Not sure if you want the two cents of a flyrodder, but...I throw flies on the top in the salt alot.

The keys to surface baits is either noise, body shape, or movement. Any bait that is on the surface is usually crippled and moves in a frantic fashion.

Typically, I use black poppers at night or low light. Pop them in short, hard pops...pause, then repeat. They will usually take on the pause.

Blues love blaze orange poppers when they're near the surface during the day. Pop them fast and hard.

Stripers, trout will sip off the surface...so do reds in the backwaters, but they will do a kinda of roll to get it an miss the hook alot.

Their are some baits that yo-yo...they float, but a jerk on the line pulls them under.

At night, fish will often come up to the edges and look for crippled, or floating bait. I use crease flies pulled slowly. Dead drift works well also.

At night, black or white tends to be the most successful...maybe with some kind of flash material unless their is fire in the water (ie the lights emmitted by jellies or plankton). Then the fish will avoid any flash unless they are looking for jellies. During the day, chartruese, reds or oranges.

Maybe this will help you pick your lures...good luck.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts