Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this survey was done last year. I'm curious if things have changed.

1. Fin-S
2. Gotchas
3. Sassy Shad
4. Bucktails
5. Rattle L

Am I in the ballpark?

GF

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only one lure missing:
Gag's Mambo Minnow in black w/ silver sides. In addition, the yellow w/silver sides and parrot color (for coffee water)work very well also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
5. Poppers
4. Lip Swimmers (Windcheater, Atom Jr., etc.)
3. Roadrunners
2. Assassins
1. More Assassins!!!

I also like streamers; buck tubes, decievers, etc. but I don't know if those have a place above.

Salty

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Bucktail Jig
2. Rattletrap (or similar lipless baits like the Mr. Bunker by Gags)
3. Live eel. Okay, so it's a live bait but it's worked like a lure.
4. Bomber 6" solid.
5. Either the 5" Cordell Redfin or the Krocodile spoon.

I can't believe the bucktail wasn't on any of your lists!

·
Registered
374 Posts
5. Spoons
4. Grubs
3. Bucktail
1. Poppers (top water addict) :p
1. Assassins

Hey Salty, how about a top 5 list for flies? :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, its been a while since I have seriously attacked stripers with flies, but some of my favorite patterns:

5. Skipping bugs (though I miss a lot on them)
4. Minnows (ie: epoxy minnow)
3. Sliders and/or Snakes (ie: Tabory Snake)
2. Decievers and/or buck tubes
1. Clouser minnow

The "and/or" may reflect slight name variations, regional name variations, or just general patters that may be alike.

How's that?

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Registered
374 Posts
Perfect! Thank you. I'm kinda new to saltwater fly fishing and my top 3 lures would be:

3. Clousers
2. Deceivers
1. Surf Candy

·
Registered
304 Posts
1.Bassassassins
2.Bucktail Jig
3.13/0 Crippled Alwife Spoon
4.4 oz. Buctail Troller(handmade by myself)
5.24 oz. MOJO with 9" Sassy Shad

DEAN

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You can really tell each angler's favorite (or at least most productive) method of fishing from the list they submitted. I'm still rather new at stripers on lures (heck, I'm still trying to get the hang of hooking them on bait), but here goes:
5) black Bomber, 4) Cordell Red Fin, 3) Creek Chub Striper Strike 2) 1.5 oz bucktail jig with 5" Kalin Salty Grub 1) 6 oz bucktail with 9" shad on an umbrella rig. I really don't like trolling, but #1 will put more and bigger fish in the boat than even the 'sacred' Stretch 25. Number 2 is tough to cast, but will catch schoolies to trophys from bay and surf. The remainder are "must haves" for beach-blitzing linesides.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
M. Jake, hey I used to live in Philly (Germantown, went to W.B Saul). Anyway, I have never used lures before, so here's a quick question. Since Bucktail is on most of people's list, what is the technique in using it? Do we cast it out and let it sit on the bottom, or do we tug it to give a "moving" motion?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Tuna Fish! My son went to W.B. Saul (aka "the farm school".)
Patrick is right about the bucktail jig. It's pretty much considered the most versatile lure around. A plastic trailer adds a little action to the jig, but other than that, its up to the fisherman. A bucktail can be reeled straight in from ultra slow to "burning" it through the water. You can also use a stop and go retrieve, or try vertical jigging from a boat or pier. Bucktails are great around jettys, since they are inexpensive as far as lures go, plus the single hook doesn't snag up as much as other lures. Next time your soaking bait, throw one on a second rod and experiment...

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
1. Mirrolures (still my favorite for any predatory fish)
2. Assassins
3. Bucktails
4. Eels
5. Rattle traps

But then again, this could be modified according to the conditions. If I'm fishing in a rough Atlantic surf, I'd prefer bait. If the fish are everywhere, I'll take a surface popper like a Gibbs or Atom plug.

And if it's chilly and they refuse to bite, there's nothing like dynamite and, failing that, C-4 :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ditto to the above on bucktails; just want to add, I'll typically start deep and slow with a bucktail, especially if there are schoolie fish or bait near the surface. If nothing takes near the bottom I'll slowly work up the water column, varying speeds, and if all else fails, go for the schoolies near the top. I'm a habitual bottom bouncer, but it doesn't always work.

I wonder what's the best way to fish dynamite and c-4? Casting, slow retrieve, jigging, skipping, deadsticking, chugging... I guess they could make a good "popper". C-4 you could shape anyway you might want- limitless possibilities. :rolleyes:

I wish this would have come up during cobe season... :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts