Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, I bought my first bait cast reel this fall and am in love. I will still fish my spinner, it's a nice reel but not nearly as nice as my little 5600 c4. My dream for this spring is a Tommy Farmer rod, what size, I don't know yet but I need distance apparently to get to the big pomps at obx, so maybe a 13'. My question is, which reel. Let's say I have a budget of $450 for the reel. I don't want to spend that much but could if need be. I surf fish almost exclusively, haven't been on a pier but maybe twice in 3 years. I am thinking a non level wind. So what say ye? I've looked at Penn fathoms, Abu rocket, akios, and diawa. It's just too much for a newb to take in. Thanks

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Penn Squall 12, any number of Abus, Akios. I'd get something with a mag. You don't need a $400 reel to catch a pompano unless you just have money to throw away. Get a sub $200 reel and put the rest towards the trip.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tommy's CPS 13' 3-6 oz. will definitely cast it out there, might as well match one of his Akios reels with the rod, he will definitely steer you straight, his knowledge and skills are unsurpassed!, good luck.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a akios 656 and really enjoy fishing with it.$149. After the holidays I will ordering a akios 757 . I have some Diana sl30 and Abu's and they all work great. Can not go wrong with any of them

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have two Abu 6500 mag elites And three Akios 656 CT mags , both are great reels but I like the Akios better. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Penn squall 12 or 15 are very forgiving and at around $150 you might get rod reel and line for under your budget

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
levelinebrad...yep lots of choices...I think the tommy farmer set up would work good for the long cast...in the past i looked up articles on fla. pomp fishers..Larry Finch from fla.is one of the best comm.rod and reel pomp fishermen..there are photos of him and the equipment he uses. it might be worth your time to persue this line..(no pun intended)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Penn Squall 12, any number of Abus, Akios. I'd get something with a mag. You don't need a $400 reel to catch a pompano unless you just have money to throw away. Get a sub $200 reel and put the rest towards the trip.
I definitely don't want to spend that much but being new to conventional reels, im not sure what the extra $$$ gets you. I'm torn between the following.

Akios 656ctm
Akios 656 scm
Abu blue yonder 6500
Abu mag elite
Penn squall 15
Penn fathom 15
Diawa saltist
Diawa 7ht

I just don't know enough to make a decision, even after reading so much about each reel

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I definitely don't want to spend that much but being new to conventional reels, im not sure what the extra $$$ gets you. I'm torn between the following.

Akios 656ctm
Akios 656 scm
Abu blue yonder 6500
Abu mag elite
Penn squall 15
Penn fathom 15
Diawa saltist
Diawa 7ht

I just don't know enough to make a decision, even after reading so much about each reel
If you can find one in decent condition at a decent price, I'd recommend the PENN 525 MAG . . .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can find one in decent condition at a decent price, I'd recommend the PENN 525 MAG . . .
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the 525mag

I handled the three Abu BY today as well as a saltist and a Penn squall. The BY is off my list. The saltist was smoother than the Penn but the spool on the Penn had much less friction and just keeps on spinning. The saltist felt like a much more " quality" reel.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the 525mag

I handled the three Abu BY today as well as a saltist and a Penn squall. The BY is off my list. The saltist was smoother than the Penn but the spool on the Penn had much less friction and just keeps on spinning. The saltist felt like a much more " quality" reel.
On this imho you are correct.. The saltist is the more quality reel.. I have used a 20 saltist since they hit the market. It has "Wilson battle scares" all over it,drag still preforms great,casting is better than it was out of the box.. The longer you throw this reel the freer it gets.. I have been using one red brake,and it never backlashes,exept when "user error" is involved,such as not spooling correctly,after catching a fish or shark,with line too tight or loose on the spool.. Watching many that use squals,I have seen them go to crap with the drag as well as casting over time.. Can't really compare it to the akios because I haven't seen that many used for a period of time.. I can say they seem to be smooth,but I'm a skeptic after using abu for years and drags always went to crap..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On this imho you are correct.. The saltist is the more quality reel.. I have used a 20 saltist since they hit the market. It has "Wilson battle scares" all over it,drag still preforms great,casting is better than it was out of the box.. The longer you throw this reel the freer it gets.. I have been using one red brake,and it never backlashes,exept when "user error" is involved,such as not spooling correctly,after catching a fish or shark,with line too tight or loose on the spool.. Watching many that use squals,I have seen them go to crap with the drag as well as casting over time.. Can't really compare it to the akios because I haven't seen that many used for a period of time.. I can say they seem to be smooth,but I'm a skeptic after using abu for years and drags always went to crap..
Are you saying that the drag on your Abu's go to crap or the Akios go to crap?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The abu and akios are very comparable reels.. That is the reason abu was mentioned,although I don't know about the "inerds" of the two in comparison..
I've read a lot about the 2 and everything I see points to the Akios being made with tighter tolerances. I think there is a place near me that has the Akios but they weren't open today. I'm going to try to get by there tomorrow and lay hands on one and hopefully a 7ht.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
that means nothing till you take the bearings out and clean them ... buy the most expensive Akios reel you can afford that is a CT frame and has Mag control and a CPS 11' 2-5 oz rod and you are set

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I love the Daiwa's but a 20 size seems extreme for a Pompano but sure it would work and could pull double duty as a drum reel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that means nothing till you take the bearings out and clean them ... buy the most expensive Akios reel you can afford that is a CT frame and has Mag control and a CPS 11' 2-5 oz rod and you are set
I am thinking the 13' 3-6oz. and the 656 scm. Hopefully this will be a lifetime purchase and something to pass down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love the Daiwa's but a 20 size seems extreme for a Pompano but sure it would work and could pull double duty as a drum reel
This is the goal. Once I have a few more trips in and feel that I can handle the gear, I want to go after some drum. I see the pics some of you guys post of the big drum and it gets my heart racing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts