Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
earlier today i walked out to the beach ...it was covered with rotting fish...big ones.. in zigh's report he said commercial menhaden fisherman dumped tons of big fish into the bay.. can anyone confirm this or have a link to a news story?all i know is the beach is stinking bad...the crabs must be having a buffet by now :barf:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bycatch.......

Kajun- Sorry you had to be witness to that..... No good at all!! I don't think it was a Menhaden boat that dumped them , I think it was bycatch from a trawler looking for other species. This is what is so upsetting...... Just a waste of forage for Bay critters because of the way the laws work in reference to commercial fishing. You know, there is this whole argument about commercial VS. recreational fishermen. This is a prime example of how the commercial fishery is wasteful, harmful, and permenantly damaging fish stocks. My castnet sure isn't that big...... When was the last time ANY of us killed thousands of fish for no good reason?! That's what I thought................

:barf:

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
28 Posts
cut fish

we went out fishing the cbbt on friday night thru sat morning and all night long big pieces of cut fish were washing in from i don't know where...but they were all cut up so they had to come from a commercial boat....didn't know what to think of it....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hmm... there were an unusual number of dead fish (mostly croakers from what I could tell) washed up on Grandview beach this morning as well. I thought it was just because of the rough surf, but maybe not then.

·
Registered
691 Posts
chum slick

The dead fish I saw the other day were ALL Menhaden and they covered a huge area extending from the ocean side of the 1st Island to a least a mile out on the Bay side. It was also fairly wide and moving toward the beach. There is no telling what fish and where those boats discharge...... just plain sux!!!!!

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was thinkin it could be a potential health problem with the kids messin with em on the beach. Rotting fish all over the beach with people joggin, playin, swimmin,fishin, just terrible. We were out there Saturday afternoon. :barf:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i was in tappahannock 1 day a year ago and the same thing but it was all salt catfish :rolleyes: now that coulda been jus plain ole poulution :barf:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was down at Nags Head this weekend, for a visit with my dad, and a fishing trip. He told me on Saturday, that he'd heard some news stories of 1.5 million menhaden dying in one NC river, and some other river with several hundred thousand dead fish (not sure what variety in the other river - maybe menhaden also).

He didn't have many details (like, the names of the coastal rivers), but the news report said that this massive fish "kill off" wsa the result of the huge rainfall that occurred a few nights back. They stated that enormous amounts of fresh water ran into these rivers, causing the fish to suffocate (there was more to it that that - but I didn't get all the details).

In any case, I just got home and read this post, and wondered if there's any connection. I haven't tried looking for any news articles, yet - but think I might.

Just wanted to pass along this information, as an FYI.

·
Registered
691 Posts
fresh water won't take your head off

Initially I wondered if it was a natural cause that these fish had played victim to, but fresh water isn't going to remove every single head from thousands of fish; like say for instance, men removing fish they can't keep or don't want from a gill net. This wasn't nature. It was commercial fishing.........and it sux!!!!!

Zigh
><((((*>
:mad:

·
Registered
118 Posts
does anyone knwo where one could report such an outrage to the "propper athority". This should be brought to someones attention and the recreational fisherman needs to let it be know it was not them.:mad:

·
Registered
270 Posts
It was in Sunday's Virginian-Pilot that it was thought that some fisherman lost his catch. Must have been one big a$$ fisherman!

I was down at OV Saturday and when we got home I had to scrub everything that touched the sand. The decay was so bad the sand was covered in a slick of chum.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sounds like another catastrophe out in the bay. Disgusting:mad:

W

·
0 Posts
dead fish on beach

To add to this conversation a little, I was reading the other day that for every pound of shrimp caught , there are 10 pounds of unwanted bi-catch species which are discarded.
Discarded where ?
Well, we don't have to worry about shrimpers in the Ches Bay. NC has the closest commercial shrimpers in the Pamlico Sound.
But ever wonder about the abudance of menhaden boats ?
And what happens when they have a purse net break ? How about when their ice machine breaks down and the catch in their holds starts to rot. Does anyone think they take em' to the dump?
Just some things to ponder....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts