Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be camping at Tom's Cove in a few weeks and I plan on surf/pier fishing while there and I'm looking for info on the area. What fish are available in the channel? Where are the hot spots? Where's a good bait shop? Got any helpful advice?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tom's Cover

Just returned from Tom's Cove. Most flounder and croaker are being caught in Queens Sound. There is a pier Public Pier in Saxis, Va. Leave Chicoteague and go to Rt 13, turn left (south) on 13 go a mile or 2 and watch for Saxis Rd on the right. Turn right, you'll come to a stop sign, go left to dead end, turn right and go to the end of the road. The pier is here. A Md Fishing license is accepted in Va. If you have one you needn't buy a Va license. We caught croaker, spot, kingfish, snipper blues and cownose rays (big ones). Tide didn't seem to matter We used squid and peeler crabs. Ask for dead peelers at one of the sluffing houses. M and K is a small store near the pier for drinks and snacks. Her husband sells hard crabs (No 1's) for 45.00 bushel and soft crabs run 16 to 20 a dozen. Could not get an answer as to how the evening and night fishing were. I liked the fact that an ounce of weight was usually adequate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that I always see people fishing from the rocks at the Queens Sound bridge. I know in the fall they catch stripers there but I don't know anything about the catch in summer although I would imagine a trout or flounder would be feasible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts