Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i fish for togs?? Aint ever done it before and i dont know anything about it. What type of rig should i use and bait. I dont know ANYTHING about them. Leave out no detail how ever big or small. I dont think you catch them off lures can you??? (really not sure but aint ever heard bout it before)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well ill give ya what little knowledge i have of the infamous Tautog aka..{blackfish}
I usually use a 2 hook setup.. typical top bottom rig.. but without the stainless steel.. they have rigs premade of black mono or leader.. but if you make your own rigs id do it with flourocarbon leader atleast 20 lb.. top loop maybe 14 inches from bottom loop and sinker haning from the drop... that way you can detect bites directly threw the line not threw the sinker..
Then your gonna use size 8 to 2/0 j hook.
Tog have a very delicate bite usually.. but sometimes they will hit hard and pull you into the rocks or structure.. The best way to describe a tog bite is if you feel it you allready missed him they are awsome and demeating a piece of crab with out you even knowing the hook setting is a learned technique.

When you do hook up try to get the fish away from the structure immediatly there first inclination is to hit the rocks and hide get em away and your safe they fight hard with solid head shake thumps and short burst's.. but the trick is hooiking em and getting them away from the structure.

The best baits i have had success with are blue crab,green,crab,fiddlers, and clam. pieces large enough to cover the hook tog are suspicious to terminal tackle.. hense the flourocarbon or black leader..
Cut the crab into sections hooking the crab threw the knuckle and out the meat.If using fiddlers id put a few of em on if there small ones.
Also a tip ive heard from some old salts is they like crawfish.. tiny lobsters i guess they think they are.. but ive never tried it.. ..another tip if you do hit a tog and he gets you hung on a rock or whatever.. let the line loose sometimes the fish will swim out of its hiding place and free you .. also try pulling the line tight and struming it like a harp or guitar string the vibration is said to annoy them ..
well thats about all the knowledge im willing to part with at this time.. good luck and keep us posted on how you do..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Lol and the worst part is i havent togged fished in 3 yrs and have actually only done it a few times in my life.... i just read alot of saltwater sportsman... great magazine

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have togged for decades. Keep it simple and on the bottom. I use 2 #4 Virginia bend snelled hooks, one tied to the middle of the other snell. Put a loop in your line about 3-4 inches above your sinker. This is where you attach your hook snell. Put a loop in the end of your line for your sinker. NO HARDWARE!!!.
Technique Tog want rocks or clam/oyster beds or other structure with the bait on the bottom and not moving. My favorite baits are green crabs or fiddlers. The big arm on the fiddlers should not be removed. I have noticed, the big arm dudes get better fish than without all other things being equal. Keep line tight and hit them before they bite. No kidding, if anything feels slightly different then give it a hook set. Most beginners have problems with this quick hook set. Ive seen beginners get only 2-3 on a party boat while the regulars were getting 25-40. Almost all will be hooked in their big rubbery lips.

They hang tight, real tight. Many will congregate in a relatively few square feet while 5 feet away there are none. If no bites, move the baits to a different area systematically. After a fish try to put the bait exactly where it had been . Instantly upon hooking keep them moving toward you or they will be in rocks reel quick. Good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
More Tog Tips

The type of rod & reel is also important. You need a straight rod with a good backbone, but a very flexible / sensitive tip. Use a level-wind reel, not a spinning reel & you should drop straight down for them, not cast.
If fishing with bluecrabs, buy Female Crabs (they prefer them) & buy a lot of extras & cut the spares into extremely small peices & toss them in every once in a while to help draw the togs out of the structure. Also, keep the crabs fresh, & cut them up only when you need bait, not all at once. When the crab hit the water, there is a dipersion of protein around it that attract the togs.
Another bait not many know about & it is real cheap if you want to work for it is sand-fleas. Go down to the beach by the shoreline & dig ---togs love them.

Some other baits are chowder clams, & hermint crabs

They usually start biting in the fall when the water temp hits 60 degrees & in the mid 40s they stop, or slow down, but I have heard of them catching them year round. They usually bite best right at high tide & when the tide falls.

Another chumming technique is to knock the barnicals and mussles off the rocks & pilings around you.

"eaglesfanguy" did an Excellent job in the hardware rig part. Like he siad, keep it simple & no hardware. One more thing to add, I have seen some use 2 hooksin the same peice of bait, but I have never tried it.

If you start catching seabass at first, you have to catch them before you will catch the togs, they are smaller & faster. You might have to move.

Also, when tog fishing, your hooks come in contact with the wreck & rocks etc & can get dulll fast, keep them razor sharp with a file.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts