Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks ahead to all that reply,

I'm interested in trying my hand at tog fishing. I hear weight up to 8 ozs is often used and the bites are almost undetectable. I'd like to hear what Make, Model of rod and Make, Model of reel some of you are using.
I'm guessing the same combo could be used for sheepheads?

Again,my thanks in advance, Tim

·
Registered
846 Posts
i dont know a whole lot about tog fishing but ima get into this year i have a 6' shimano convergence rod rated upto 6 0z with a abu 6500 on it i also have a lami tri flex rod rated up to 12oz with another 6500 reel on it just incase i need a lil more weight both rods are graphite i would most deff check out the lami tri flex inshore rods i have 3 of them and the are my fav rods and they come in all sizes

·
Registered
155 Posts
yea they have a tiny hit and your bait is gone.
the two main ingredients are a graphite rod and braided line
the rod dose need to be stout because of the weight being used to hold the bottom and to get 'em up fast when they are heading back home.

i use a JB custom tog rod. (jesse buky 496-2206)

he uses a super sensitive carbon fiber butt piece. it is truly the most sensitivity you can get in a rod, perfect for tog'en.
I use 65lb braid and a Luna reel. im a fan of small reels, I don’t need hundreds of yards of line for tog.

same gear for big sheepies

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I am using a 7'6H Teramar, w/ a 400 Cardiff 400 loaded with 30lb braid.... rated up to 2oz, but it'll handle 4 easy. I like the non disengaging levelwind on the 400... solid reel for the price.

I would suppose you would need a heavy rod offshore, or in a heavy current where you'd need more lead... but this suits my vertical jigging needs in the kayak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.