Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We're heading to Orlando area in a couple of weeks and then onto the Keys to fish. I was thinking of stopping at Titusville Veterans Memorial Fishing on the way. Can't find too much information online about it and don't really feel like placing a phone call; so, can anyone give me any information about this pier at all? Is it 24 hours? If not, when does it open? Is there a fee? The website says something about repairs underway, but gives basically no information.

Thanks a lot for any information at all.

Green grass and high tides,
Tj

·
Registered
419 Posts
http://nbbd.com/godo/FishingPier/index.html

It's a nice concrete pier with plenty of space. There are two arms to the pier - one arm is under the bridge and another splits out into open water. It's open for fishing 24 hours. There is a bait shop, restaurant, and bar there as well - not sure about their hours but the bar is open pretty late. There is no fee but a FL saltwater license is required. Plenty of free parking as well. The signage isn't real clear, but the entrance is on the left just before you go up the bridge from downtown. Parrish Park is just on the far side of the bridge too, but it has a much smaller pier.

You might even find some people out there with bright lights dip netting for crab. That's pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the link and information. That is not the website that I found! And that's pretty much everything I needed to know. We both have non-resident yearly licenses so good-to-go there. Love the fact that it is open 24 hours, too. The piers here in VA Beach area start closing this time of year.

Tight lines,
Tj

·
Registered
705 Posts
TJ, I am not familiar with "Titusville Veterans Memorial Fishing" . . . .
are you referring to the Max Brewer Bridge ? which I have heard sometimes as the Memorial Bridge.
The bait shop was closed years ago - just couldn't make money.
The biker tiki bar makes good money LOL.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was a total bust. It is still just too danged HOT .

hope you have a great vacation in the KEYS !!!

Knowing what I know about the Max Brewer Bridge being totally unproductive at times,
PERSONALLY, I would save that time for any bridge in the Keys any day of the week.
jus my Dos Centavos

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, the Veterans Memorial Pier is under the Max Brewer bridge. I've only been able to fish out there at night since I'm working during the day when I'm there. There's a a shop with bait just before you get there if I recall. Last time I was out there was late October last year and I was fishing double drops straight down off the lower pier. Caught about 8 good sized Spot and a nice whiting and some other fish I couldn't identify. I was surprised to see Spot there since I had spent the previous weekend fishing off the NC coast looking for Spot and caught none worth keeping. :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
most of the spot are 6" or less. The croaker are a bit larger.
If you can get into a run of snapper, they run a pound or two.
the bait shop is there on the right as you turn onto Max Brewer Parkway at Burger King.
There is no bait shop on the fishing pier itself.
Fiddler Crabs will usually put some sheepshead in your bucket if you know how to fish for them.
trout and whiting are usually dinks and tossed back.
last time we had heat like this lasting into November was in 1939. (according to the TV weatherman).
Screenshot

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add "pier" to what I cut and pasted...

Where I'm fishing in VA it's pretty much the same right now - small spot, undersized-specs, and very few slot reds. Was hoping that area would produce some keeper specs and reds. Will give it a shot on the way down at least on the way to the hotel in Orlando. Was hoping to make the hour drive back the next day, but not if it's as slow as you say.

Thanks for all the help,
Tj

·
Registered
705 Posts
The pier is on the Indian River - which is a high salt brackish environment.
I have never seen or heard of any redfish or red bass being caught there.
It just has a lot of pressure because it is so easily accessed by everyone.
black drum are rare, but are caught sometimes.
I am often amused at how a LOT of people there toss their baits as far out as
they can . . . and I fish under the pier and do 100% better. Especially on the sheeps.
if there is a storm up river, the sea grass washes down which is the main food for
the Manatee (Sea Cow) and they roll around the pier area getting everybody's lines. some weigh 2 tons.
The beaches are another 30-45 minutes drive from that pier . . . but, it's a nice slow scenic drive.
$5.00 per car to get into the park. There are NO gas stations or food shops once you leave the pier to the beach.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Tango with the Mango - Snapper, that is

Fish Vertebrate Fish snapper Sun bass

Mangrove Snapper: Sometimes called the Gray Snapper. They love structure.
The inshore variety normally are 10-14" and seldom over 2 pounds. Off shore up to 20 pounds but have a stronger taste.
They are a voracious predator and willingly take many types of live bait.
The stand alone best live bait for inshore snapper is Mud Minnows.
Other good baits include but are not limited to:
Live or dead Shrimp. Have also caught a few on salted baits.
Small Finger Mullet
Very small live pinfish such as small spot which can be easily caught with small hooks and a small bait.
Fiddler Crabs and fresh strips of cut bait

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a quick report on what happened when we made it to the pier.

I forget which day it was but the wind was blowing pretty good. I'm thinking it was Sunday the 15th if memory serves me. Anyway, both piers were pretty empty. Met a couple local guys who were gracious enough to provide some live bait. Fished with that, BW Fishbites, frozen shrimp and squid. Only stayed a couple of hours as nothing was biting. Managed two puffers for my trouble.

Went to Marathon on that Monday. Was supposed to rent a boat, but the winds once again foiled us. The owner didn't want to rent to us due to the wind conditions. No matter as it was an entirely different story in the Keys. First day we spent 6 hours fishing the southern end of the 7-mile bridge and we pulled in over 60 fish mostly snapper (predominantly Yellowtail) and grunt. Fished that bridge once more and had pretty much the same results. Fished the channel at Curry Hammock Park and had an absolutely wonderful time catching much the same plus a lot of jack. Then finally on our last day, I was just helping out a youngster staying at the same motel as us and we fished the little dock at Tarpon Creek Marina. I managed a 3' nurse shark and a >24" jack crevalle. Those last two fish made my vacation. They both put up an excellent fight - it was awesome.

Can't wait to go back,
Tj

·
Registered
705 Posts
wow T.J. - nice report !! I was at the bridge the Saturday before you
and it was the same..... a few small ones. the water was muddy and very windy.
This is why I suggested you pass by the pier and tack an extra day onto the Keys fishing.
LOL now you know why I am in love with the Middle Keys !!!
My wife and I are going over to Titusville tomorrow house hunting. As soon as we sell
our house here, we will buy a small bungalow style house there in Titusville.

How long did it take you to drive down to Marathon ?

glad you had a great time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's a quick report on what happened when we made it to the pier.

I forget which day it was but the wind was blowing pretty good. I'm thinking it was Sunday the 15th if memory serves me. Anyway, both piers were pretty empty. Met a couple local guys who were gracious enough to provide some live bait. Fished with that, BW Fishbites, frozen shrimp and squid. Only stayed a couple of hours as nothing was biting. Managed two puffers for my trouble.

Went to Marathon on that Monday. Was supposed to rent a boat, but the winds once again foiled us. The owner didn't want to rent to us due to the wind conditions. No matter as it was an entirely different story in the Keys. First day we spent 6 hours fishing the southern end of the 7-mile bridge and we pulled in over 60 fish mostly snapper (predominantly Yellowtail) and grunt. Fished that bridge once more and had pretty much the same results. Fished the channel at Curry Hammock Park and had an absolutely wonderful time catching much the same plus a lot of jack. Then finally on our last day, I was just helping out a youngster staying at the same motel as us and we fished the little dock at Tarpon Creek Marina. I managed a 3' nurse shark and a >24" jack crevalle. Those last two fish made my vacation. They both put up an excellent fight - it was awesome.

Can't wait to go back,
Tj
Glad you had a good time. We have been going to marathon for twenty years and always look forward to these trips in May. It's amazing how many different species can be caught. One year we kept track. Our count was over thirty by the end of the week. Even off the dock at the rental unit you can have a blast catching quality fish....sorry your didn't get the boat. If you make it back down I will give you the number of our guy who has boats to rent for a decent price as well as rental units with a great view and a pool.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've found most sharks are good as long as you bleed them quickly. That said a big smaller species of shark is noticeably stronger and not as good as a smaller bigger shark species. For example I pulled in a 5 ft bull a few months ago and he was absolutely delicious. If he had been a 5 foot blacktip it would have not been as good. As they seem to get really strong when they reach their max size.

Nice report, glad to hear it was fun and you caught some good stuff!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The drive from Lake Buena Vista took close to 6 hours because when we hit the keys the rains were torrential and traffic was crawling.

Here's a few pics from the Keys. Barechested Muscle Fish Chest Vacation
Fish Fish Pacific sturgeon Squaliformes Fin
Fishing Fish Recreational fishing Fish Fisherman
Fun Vacation Muscle Bikini Swimwear
Fishing Recreational fishing Fish Jigging Recreation

Thanks for all the replies. I'm already trying to figure out how to get back there soon!

Tj

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, there is a fish in pic 4. ;-) And does anyone know the name of the fish in pic 5? I found it quite amusing.

Also, meant to mention that the FWC was out and about our first day fishing in the Keys - I'm guessing they were land-roaming due to the windy conditions. Really just wanted to check the coolers, but I forced them to check our licenses since we paid so much for them as non-Residents.

Tj

·
Registered
705 Posts
aaaawwww that's so cool that you got to take your DAUGHTER with you !!! ;)

I hope after the Holidays the wife and I can leave at early thirty and be in Marathon
in time for lunch.

glad you guys had a great time !! The keys are full of people that visited and never went back home LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts