Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Get one of these, then get an old stem from a tire (usually can pick up an old one for free at a tire shop) use some loc-tite on the threads so you never lose it and bingo, you have a tire deflater. Just unscrew the valve to the right pressure then screw it back in.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
use the backside of a tire gauge. It has a tire deflator on it and u can turn it around to make sure u are at the right psi.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
use the backside of a tire gauge. It has a tire deflator on it and u can turn it around to make sure u are at the right psi.
I do the same thing, but a buddy with commercial tires (80 psi) uses the deflators they sell in some shops. Will have to admit it gets a little hard on the old back when bending over to deflate the tire for long periods- it takes awhile for him to get down to 20psi - in his case I think the cost is justified

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yea. I hear ya surf cat. Im only dropping about 20psi per tire so it doesnt take to long. BTW you can pick up a tire gauge for free at any local auto place and i am pretty sure napa gives them away for free or they might be like $2. Deff an inexpensive way to airdown.

·
Registered
395 Posts
a friend of mine took a couple of binder clips, drilled small holes em them and threaded small screws in. cheap and easy

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have the screw on kind

I use the ones that you can set to a certain psi, like 10 psi. All you do is screw it on, it makes an annoying whistle sound, but stops automatically when the desire pressure is reached. They are like $10-15 in area tackle shops. I find its easier to screw it on, set it and forget it.

I was worried about using a valve stem unscrewer thing as I did not want to let out too much air, but they work much faster than what I got.

I have a tire gauge that has a bleeder valve that i also use. this has a about a 8" hose (between the stem and the gauge) lets you bleed out air after airing back up (if you over inflate).

·
Registered
824 Posts
Get one of these, then get an old stem from a tire (usually can pick up an old one for free at a tire shop) use some loc-tite on the threads so you never lose it and bingo, you have a tire deflater. Just unscrew the valve to the right pressure then screw it back in.

Yep, one of those.
Get a pack of spare valve cores in case you loose one.
Just take the core all the way out, count the number of seconds to get to the right preasure and then reinstal the core. Very fast! Repete on the other tires.
It also makes a good show. Everyone is looking and betting on weather you get the core back in before the tire goes flat!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Well I have D load range tires and run mine at around 65 PSI and deflate down to 25 on the sand.
The heavier load range tires such as D & E have a much stiffer side wall and just letting out to say 35 will not let the side walls out enough to make a big enough foot print in the sand unless your carring a camper in the bed and the extra weight will help flaten out the side walls.

·
Banned
745 Posts
I got a set of 4 screw on deflaters came with a key chain and all screw back to back after use 11.95 fatboys. Screw them on and since it is slower than pulling the stem once the first one is on and you get around to the last one the first is ready to be checked. Saves my BACK! Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Big Worm. I heard good things about Oasis deflator.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You got it man. Got it in my Favs.

BTW SOL had a real good thread about them, alot guys had all kinds of them and they were stacking them up against eachother, pros, cons and some of them have been using them for years. Worth a read.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll second or third about the Oasis deflators are just right. Put them on when you get to where you are buying bait & when you get back to your truck all 4 tires are deflated and ready for sand. Just take them off, put your caps back on & off ya go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts