Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon, as you guys can see it will be time to organize amongst ourselves. We are going to need at least local level representation at the city meetings to get this shi# fixed. Speak you mind now.

Keep this topic on the top!!!

TGIF

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I vacation every year in VA Beach it is hurting me to see the destuction:(

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Problem is, all these piers except Sandbridge are privately owned. The city has nothing to do with their rebuilding. It'll be up to the owners.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Well for them being privately owned they should pay insurance on them and hopefully they will use that money to rebuild them again.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Even if they do rebuild (which I expect all of them but Harrison's to do), forget fishing any of these piers until next year.

Looks like all you plankers are about to become sand fleas, whether you like it or not! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hey Flea you might need to change the sites name to surf fishing....just trying to get a smile from you guys face after the crap that has taken place.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Just saw the other post where you already thought of that. Doh!

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I'd be very surprised if these privately owned piers were insured for anything but liability. It will most likely be up the business community to fund most of the restoration. Watch out for high non-resident usage fees.

Catman.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Judy Boone, had already bought the pier and the Thirsty Camel resturaunt. They are building hotels there. They were unfortanatly going to tear it down anyway. It really sucks. I cought up with a channel 3 reporter out there and let them know how I feel. They should show it at 5 or 6. That place has alot of history.

Harrison's Boathouse and Fishing Pier (1947-2003)
R.I.P.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some thoughts on organizing

You know, if several of these private piers
decide NOT TO REBUILD, this would be a
prime place for the VA DNR to step in and
buy that land, and build a public pier. :)

Then you wouldn't have to worry about
someone posting it as "NO-FISHING", or
buying and demolishing it (in the name of
business). Of course parking may be a problem... This is what you pay license and
park fees for...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well...Im about to do my part. I went to Lynnhaven Pier and talked to the owners today and offered to help rebuild. They had an inspector on the pier today and he said that if they nail down a lot of the boards that were torn up the pier can open tomorrow but only to about a little past the middle. After that point there will be a danger sign and people will not be allowed any further down.

Good thing is that the pier would reopen tomorrow morning for fishing and in the surf next the pier people have been catching a lot of stripers and pups.

EDIT - Lynnhaven lost about 300 - 500 ft from end of pier. Repairs have been made and the pier will open for fishing up to the second shelter (about 3/4 of the way from the pre-storm pier) tomorrow at 8am.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts