Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tying lures directly on my line for years as those crafty freshwater bass know the difference when you use a swivel.

Do you saltwater guys find that this is true?

Without my Wal-Mart Reading Glasses it is tough to tie knots, especially at night, but I keep tying.

Inquiring minds....

Bob

·
Registered
290 Posts
I always tie a heavy mono directly to lures or hooks for that matter, a leader basically, about 12 to 14 inches. A barrel swivel always connects leader to running line. The heavy mono also helps land the fish!

I’m not so sure schooling stripers pay much attention to snaps or swivels at the bait, but like you I’ve always tried to keep the hardware to a minimum! Old habits are hard to break!
:D

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
One, if I needed a swivel, it would be in-line. I will sometimes use a snap to my plug/etc...if I plan on changing a bit. 90% of the time I use a "Uniknot", easily tied in the dark or with your eyes closed. The other reason for it, it doesn't have to be clinched all the way down, leaving a loop for better action on plugs and jigs

My $.02

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Man-I must be just plain ole' lazy,I prefer the simple Palomer knot-I have yet lost a fish or lure with this knot.......but I have lost fish on un-checked fishing line.

So make sure you check your line.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have noticed that both work. Sometimes they will prefer one over the other. In the past I usually tie the lure straight to the line, but now I am a little lazier and use a snap swivel. I usually like to switch lures quickly if the fish are not active so I use the snap swivel. If the fish are being picky, I may tie straight to the line.

·
Registered
118 Posts
SWIVEL

I usally go with a swivel. Was in a accident a few years back and on cool or cold nights it is hard to get the fingers working right so swivel is easier. I will tye it on the line in the summer some nights. Swivel make changing the luresa easier also

1 - 6 of 6 Posts