Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As yall know I'm still new to this lure thing....

When using lures is it better to tie it directly on the line or use a snap swivel? I tied it directly on the line last week (caught nothing) but I had a hard time switching lures out with wet cold hands.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
1mo, I have always tied directly to th lure but after reading post here an other sites am thinking of changing. One advantage is ease to switch lures an another is with a snap swivel that rotates it will eliminate line twist.For storm lures an plugs I think a direct tie would be best but for stingsilvers, hopkins etc. I am gona switch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Then there's the HAWG that popped open the snap like it was made of licorice. Sad ending there.

Use a swivel without a snap.

Tie a loop knot. That way it is a LITTLE easier to swap out lures, you still get the advantage of a swivel, and you don't have to worry about the snap being the "weak" link in your terminal tackle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
snap swivel

I am a die hard snap swivel guy, but I have learned the hard way to make sure that you use the appopriate size, and always always make sure that they are the ones with the end that hangs over 90deg

shore

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I like to tie on lures.

It became a habit at the advice of an old Bass Fisherman in Texas. My catch actually improved after losing the snap swivels.

I go back and forth here in VA Beach. At night I will use swivels if the wind is up.

Can't say if I am doing better or worse in these new Saltwater Digs..

Bob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I'm really confused.....lol

Three different replies...Three different opinions, I guess it all boils down to the individual fisherman. I'm gonna try that overlapping swivel option, I think it will work for both changing lures in the frigid cold and swaping out lures, If I ever lose a fish I will go to the swivel without the snap.....

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
206 Posts
i am not an expert by any means but i have found that the swivel takes away from the movement of the gig. i only use them when i am just flicking the gotcha in the lights for specks. other wise i have found that i do better without them. that and with casting a gig with trivel hooks i find that the bottom hook gets caught up in the swivel.
thats just my two cents

dan lee

·
Registered
691 Posts
options, options, options

Well, here is my take on the swivel dilemma. 1st off, I ALWAYS use a length of leader material to attach my main line to the lure or rig I'm using. The reason(s) being many. You want your lure(s) to have as much swimming action as possible. A swivel attached directly to the lure will often prevent the lure from tracking or swimming properly. Also, it looks bad to me and I assume the fish since most fish we are after; and especially the Striper's, are sight feeders. Sure, you can switch lures out easily, but learning to tie a couple of different knots will serve you in the speed department just as well. The palomar is a quick, easy knot to tie and you can do it at night with little light or coordination. Although, it does take some... I do use a snap swivel at the end of the main line and then use barrel swivels attached to a 3'(adjust as needed) length of leader, and then to the lure or bait of choice. I just slide off the old barrel swivel/ lure, and swap it with the new barrel/ leader/ lure. I usually have some lures pre-tied on leaders with barrels(keep untangled in ziplock bags) so I can just reach in the old tackle bag/ box and slap on the new lure. If the fish are finicky, I lose the snap swivel and tie the main directly to the barrel. So it goes main line/ barrel/ leader/ lure. If still no luck, I sometimes lose the barrel too, and join the main directly to the leader or lure(very infrequently/ usually for Spanish)
Another reason for using leaders is to help prevent break off's from abrasions in the line. Often, larger fish will have their tail and/ or dorsal fin come in contact with the line and can nick it causing it to weaken. Or, your fishing down deep near structure, and your lure may get hung or close to the rocks, pilings, what have you, and again weaken the line thru abrasions/ nicks and such. Yet another reason to go with a leader is it makes it easier to land a fish. Provided you grab BELOW the barrel swivel, you can control the fish without as much fear of a break off. This is especially important when fishing from a boat. From shore, it allows you an extra couple of feet to help land larger fish.
In the hardware department, here's what I like to do. I usually fish 12lbs. main line test on my casting outfit's. My leader strength increases with the Striper season as the fish get larger. A good all around leader is 30lbs Stren high impact, or Berkley XT. Both of these have proven great leaders, even when abrased or damaged. Flourocarbon is another option, but expensive. I usually only go that route when fishing for Spanish. Again, 30lbs. is a good bet, but I have had to go to 50lbs. after being bit thru 30lbs. test by LARGE Spaniards. All of this is just what I do, and certainly you can vary any and all of this, to accomodate your specific needs for a specific situation. I think you will catch more fish, and larger fish in the long run, by employing some sort of leader system. Your biggest help to yourself, would be to learn to tie some different knots, and become good at it. Pre-rigging ALWAYS helps too. The best advice is to experiment. OFTEN! Too many times, I think folks give up on fishing a spot because they are lazy about trying something new or different. A slow or non-existent bite is the perfect time to get creative. You may discover something you'll do for the rest of your angling days. Sorry for the long post; I could go on and on. Try some of these ideas and let me know how/ if they work for you. Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>
:D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Zigh.......just about word for word for what I do.I would stress having these things pre-tied else you can wind up having a lot of non-feeshen time ........the R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts