Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot about fishing the tides, maybe 1 or 2 hours on either side of a high tide, lets say.
So, do you find it applies across all spe he's of fish off a pier? Let's say Spanish.

I'm trying to find a day off work to go, and I'm looking for a high tide that's early enough for me to fish two hours prior, and include time for a 2-hr drive to get there.

An 8am high tide means I'd have to !leave at 4am.

I know it's not automatic,and I'm NOT trying to pick the exact time I'll catch a fish, but I'd hate to get there and everyone is saying "you should a been here around high tide, man!" Or maybe LOW tide!

·
Registered
898 Posts
IMO, much of that depends on the location you're fishing & time of year. Other factors like depth & even wind play a role.
That 2 hour window on either side of a high tide is often a good time frame for fishing and generally yes, it affects most species.
Doesn't mean you won't catch fish at other times of a tidal phase, but doesn't mean you will either.

I try to check tidal charts for the area I'll be fishing for the highs & lows, but also for the projected depth changes. Wind strengths & direction affects the tides. If you get a strong wind against the tidal flow, it may change the flow enough to keep some fish species away from some areas. Spanish are a good example. They're generally not a shallow water species, and they seem to like some current so simply looking for that 2 hour window may not tell the whole story whether or not you have a good chance of catching them off a pier.

If you fish an area where they're being caught regularly, and generally at a certain tide level, it's a good bet to be there at that time frame with all other factors being relatively normal.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I hear a lot about fishing the tides, maybe 1 or 2 hours on either side of a high tide, lets say.
So, do you find it applies across all spe he's of fish off a pier? Let's say Spanish.

I'm trying to find a day off work to go, and I'm looking for a high tide that's early enough for me to fish two hours prior, and include time for a 2-hr drive to get there.

An 8am high tide means I'd have to !leave at 4am.

I know it's not automatic,and I'm NOT trying to pick the exact time I'll catch a fish, but I'd hate to get there and everyone is saying "you should a been here around high tide, man!" Or maybe LOW tide!
I personally would not worry about tides too much with Spanish, for me anyway on a pier 1st hour after sun-up and last hour at dusk would be the times I would fish, but as DD says often in the summer you need a high tide to clear up stained or muddy water.

If you get incoming tide at either dawn or dusk it is ideal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks everyone. That's what I'm looking for. A high tide at 4am is just too early for me! 6am and I'll catch it high. 8am and I'll catch it 2 hrs early.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I asked my grandfather one day when I was a little lad, "do fish bite better at low tide or high tide?" He replied, "YES." So I was like "Yes, what... High or Low." He said "Yes, if you aint fishing you aint catching..." Took me a few years but I finally figured it out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts