Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking about this in another thread so i figured i should start it. I was talked into getting the 12' surf tica tc2 over the ocean master. Which one is better and can the tica tc2 handle catching bigger fish like cobia? thank you for all your help

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ill throw my 2 cents in, I own both and both rods can handle what you want to use them for, the ocean master is beefier and heavier and will throw alot more weight if needed. I use my tica alot more than the OM, it just pairs up nice with my slosh, Ive caught cobia/drum big rays etc with both rods and they have done fine. Im not exactly the tallest guy around and I can definetly out throw my tica over my OM..Either one is a good choice.....geo

·
Registered
232 Posts
id go with the OM. i have both and i can cast alot further with my OM and have seen a couple ticas break in the same place(3 eyes down) while fighting fish including mine and stephons on the same day, it used to be 12ft now its 10ft

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have three of those Ticas and have never thrown the O.M. .. But As stated above they will handle just about anything you hook.. Its rated 4-10oz. but I never throw over 7-8oz with them.. 7oz.n bait being the sweetspot..jmo

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
In my opinion the Tica is superior to the OM; I own a fleet of custom heavers but still use the Ticas as backups all the time and I've landed some very large sharks and rays on the Ticas without any problems at all. I prefer the feel, and the weight of the Tica over the OM as well.

I just finished custom butt wraps on 8 4-10oz rated Ticas for a guide from Texas that wanted a custom look on an off the shelf rod. He said the Ticas are the best thing going for his money, and you should see the pictures of sharks this guy and his clients catch from the surf on Tica rods; I was impressed.

I also prefer Tsunami's over the OM, but when you ask a question like OM or Tica? It's like asking Ford or Chevy?

The bottom line will be what do you like?, how does it feel to you?, do you feel like you got your moneys worth?

If you sent me to buy you an off the shelf rod, I'd be coming back with a Tica, especially if you're new to throwing a heaver. The Tica is very new guy friendly IMO.

Tight lines,

Walt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.