Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a GX6000 a couple of months ago and have used it nearly daily on the beach in Cocoa Beach, FL. I only use the reel staked out for Pompano and whiting. Typically, it is attached to a 13-foot surf rod with 12-pound test line casting a two hook rig with a 4-ounce sinker. I lightly rinse the reel daily and it has never been dunked or even touched the sand.

Yesterday, after noticing the reel beginning to grind a little, I opened the reel and was shocked to see a small amount of water and corrosion that had begun to occur. The grease had hardened and a white powdery film was beginning to coat the inside of the case and some of the gears were discolored. It did not take long to find the problem. Underneath the rear silver back cover is a hole in the side of the right side plate a little bit larger in diameter than a pencil. Most of the powdery corrosion was forming adjacent to this hole and spreading throughout the reel. I suppose this hole is provided as a port to insert grease, but it should have been sealed with a removable plug instead of being open and a source of water intrusion.

I stripped the reel, cleaned and regreased it and it has smoothed out somewhat. I used grease to close off the side case hole before reassembling the reel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe use a bit of glue from a hot-glue gun to seal up the whole from the inside. Then pack that baby full of grease and close it up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe use a bit of glue from a hot-glue gun to seal up the whole from the inside. Then pack that baby full of grease and close it up.
Good idea...if I remember there would be sufficient clearances to do just that.

I have heard others recommend heavy grease packing on different reels...how much is too much?

·
Registered
177 Posts
There are a handful of fisherman that do a lot of "wetsuit fishing". What I mean is that they use a 3mm to 7mm full body wetsuit and they will wade out or even swim to nearby sandbars, and small islands in order to get to their secret fishing holes. They have to have fishing reels that can handle being submerged for long periods of time while swimming in Saltwater. Many of the reels they use are NOT sealed, so they will clean out the reel and pack it with as much grease as will fit inside. That way it forms a barrier to the Saltwater, and takes up ALL the space inside the reel.

Now I wasted all those words just to say this. Pack it as full as you can possibly get it, yet still allows the system to work as intended. Just DON'T go to the auto-parts store and buy a tub of Axle Grease. :) Make sure you are using the right grease for the job, and you should be fine.

Here is a link to a youtube video to show ya what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54C2r2vgRJk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts