Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings Fish'n Phil!

I love my TICA Sportera SR4007. It does great for distance casting when I mount it on my 11 ft Barrington Carp Rod. It is a baitrunner, and I can throw it on my 7 ft MH Tiger Ugly Stick for bait fishing. The drag is smooth, and it looks good, too. I paid $70.00 two years ago... Don't know what they sell for now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Gretings (again) Fish'n Phil!

Forgot to mention the one drawback (and this goes for every baitrunner) -- you have to send them back to the manufacturer for service. Many "authorized" Shimano repair centers have completely ruined baitrunners because of the complexity of the two drag systems. I imagine it would be the same with TICA, Penn, or any other manufacturer that has entered the baitrunner market.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have a big TICA spinner, don't know the number its at home while i'm at school. Its nice for throwing king anchors and holds a lot of line while being very smooth and throwing far, even with 30# test

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can buy TICA reels, dirt cheap, on eBay.

I don't know if this is a reflection on their quality, or just market saturation.

They don't seem to be very popular.

Is the guy that's trying to get you to switch from a Daiwa to a Tica, a personal friend of yours?

If not, if he's a high volume mail order retailer, I'd be

very skeptical of his advice.

You'll never regret the few extra bucks it costs to buy a Penn Reel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ownED two different ticas, and got rid of them. way too many bail closures on the cast. another site CLAIMS they are so smooth that it causes the bail to snap shut on the cast. :rolleyes: bail closure = lost plug = lots of money :rolleyes:

IMHO go with the Daiwa, they are a proven reel. Alot of there older technology is still in use today. Can't go wrong with companies like Shimano and Daiwa. They put actual R&D in there reels while everybody else tries to copy it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Fish'n Phil,

I have two tica scepter gf 9000 reels, they both have worked great for me. I'm thinking of selling one or both. Both are in great condition. I have recently purchase a diawa emblem-x and also received a diawa emblem-x as a b-day gift. So I have a surplus of reels. If interested let me know, was thinking of selling for $50.

Fish-on

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Go with Penn

Penn reels are the wisest choice if your looking for long time value and durability.

I am not saying they are the best. I am saying that it makes sense to purchace something that you can have rebuilt in your home, or a local tackle shop. Here in Va. beach..the guy at the 17th street shop carries parts.

Penn also ships parts out of PA. , not Japan, or mexico. They can have parts to you in a few days. Others want you to mail your reel and YOU pay shipping, or have the parts sent from overseas. I have talked to the Penn sales and service reps on the phone prior to purchasing my 6500 SS, and they were very polite and informative.

I'll take reliablility and convenience over these overseas products anyday.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Tica Camry and Libra

I have the 3500 Camry and the 4000 Libra and a 4500 Libra.
To date, I have had no problems with bail closures on any of them or any other problems. They are very smooth and so far dependable.

I do manually close the bail and pull a couple of feet of line before reeling. My youngest son uses the larger Libra on a Sealine X and it has served well with up to 12lb bluefish and small puppy drum. I use the 3500 Libra for tossing metal to spanish and live lining eels to stripers at OI this past year, with 14lb Fireline. No problems yet. :p

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Try this

Make sure the bail is located on the bottom side when doing a power cast. I've really had no problems with closures. I might have a stronger spring in my bail. Tica would probably send you replacement springs at n/c. They are a very service oriented company.

·
Registered
374 Posts
thanks Fish Hunter. :)

I've tried that as recommended by TimS. It worked most of the time, but I found it inconvenient before every cast (I cast lures most of the time). Both reels have been sold since then, and I will never buy anything but Shimano and Daiwa for a spinner. Van Staal has not been ruled out though. :D

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
I own two of the libra,I've only used them for 4 months,but that's four months of hard Hatteras usage.. They are so tight you can barely turn the handle,it's probably beyond the "oilitup" stage now..:rolleyes:Have been told they don't have stainless bearings and that could be the culprit.. I've been known to be very hard on equipment,so I buy reels that can take a beating.. Penn and Diawa fit that bill perfectly.. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.