Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Boaters World catalog has a Tica Libra SA 3500/7' Custom Power Stick combo for $100. Rigged up with 12# line I would think it would be nice jerk jigger/metal rod for spanish off the pier, with the reel doing double duty on a 10' or so rod for spanish/blues/stripers from the surf. Any comments on the reel would be greatly appreciated for these applications.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Expect the bail to trip when you put some power in your cast. The reel is very smooth that during the casting motion the bail will rotate quickly causing it to close. Lost too many plugs due to snap offs with this reel. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Joey,

Had same problem with my Penn 7500ss. Fixed the problem by rotating the roller to the top and using my middle finger to hold bail open. Might feel a little awkward at first but you'll quickly adapt(especially as expensive as lures and rigs are!).

Just a suggestion that worked for me.

Tight lines,

Jighead

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks Jighead, I tried the same technique and couldn't get the feel for it. Guess it doesn't help when your primary reels are good ole reliable Stradics. :D

Have you looked into a manual bail for your Penn? It's just like using a Van Staal at a fraction of the price.

Jame's Tackle carries the kits for manual conversion.
Jame's Tackle Penn Reels Page

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I had the same problem with the bail closing on my Okuma AV 65.I hel the bail open with a rubber band.It sucked when the rubber band broke,and I only brought that one.Good thing I retired that reel.I also have the Okuma AV 50(smaller version),and never had that problem from happening.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My AV50 did that once. I removed the bale mechanism and bent the tang just a little and haven't had the problem since. I think when they are new or some how they get assembled and tested, the first few turns the bale gets stuck and bends the tang/release mechanism. At least that's what mine looked like.

:cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Joey and everyone!

I wasn't aware you could convert but I'm going to. Ironically I always manual trip the bail because of how loud it is. Didn't see it listed other than notation...I'll send them an email and try to line that up.

Again "Thanks"

Jighead

1 - 8 of 8 Posts