Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished surfing Digitaldagger.com and saw a replacement lite tackle reel,the TICA GH series.

4 ball bearings for 32.00 bucks,I think that is a deel.

Any 411,regarding this investment?

Is it a good reel,planning on putting it on a 7'6 plugging and jigging lite action rod.
Lookin at the GH3500-10 lbs test,240 yards.

Any input regarding this purchase would be greatyly appreciated

·
Registered
634 Posts
thanks for the info...have a tica spinner rod with a diawa that has been dunked in saltwater...was looking for a replacement...think i found it:)..i'll let ya know how i like it.

edit: ordered it today....

·
Registered
634 Posts
yea..i called them yesterday after i posted this..they sent it out on 2nd..he called the post office and tracked it down..its here in norfolk..post office said i would have it today..it got mishandled or something....we'll see..

·
Registered
634 Posts
well i got the reel in today after waiting a week..took it to lighthouse tackle and had them spool me 150 yrds of 20lb test tuf-line(same as power pro).....just came back from willoughby pier... and to say the least i'm pretty disappointed....almost every cast i was getting casting knots....now i been using this stuff since june on my diawa samurai 2500 and have gotten only TWO casting knots...and they were both my fault for casting into the wind with a light lure.....seems to me this reel wasnt made to cast braid at all...as of now i maybe have 70yds or less left on my reel after paying $18 to have it spooled...:mad:

it seems like a nice reel if you dont use braid.......nserch if you want it... i'll sell it to ya for $25 lol

edit: to top off the night all i caught was a 3 inch spot..can you say "not a happy camper"?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not know that reel directly, did the crew at the tackleshop spoll the braid on Tight. 90% of the times I have seen people discussing braid problems the braid is put on loose. I've even twisted the line back and forth on some plastic spools. Was any backing used?? I've prefer dacron instead of mono.

That Tuf-line also has a supieror slick coating, better than Power-Pro

Does the reel have a criss-cross wrap on the spool? Is it going top to bottom of the spool? Are you tightening the drag down on the power heave (not doing this will cause the spool to spin against the light drag, causing loop to form for the next cast). remember to lighten up on the drag after the cast should a fish hit (and you cross it eyes and the rod breaks due to the drag locked down...)

Been there done that... :rolleyes:

BTW - Ditigal Dagger is on the up and up. I have fish with him. Member of ASAC team Fishing Fuzz.

·
Registered
634 Posts
the braid was done by the same guy that usually puts mine on...he's does a good job...nice and tight...dacron backing was used..with a uni knot....the drag is set loose because the reel is only rated at 10lbs..but not so loose as to cause any probs...i might try tightening it up alil and see if it changes anything..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.