Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to cut a few inches off of the but of my 12' Tica UEHA, because it is too long for me. Larry - I think you performed this same operation on one of your rods. Are there any problems I may encounter or is it as simple as I think it is? I am planning on just chopping it off with a hacksaw with fine toothed blade. Did you glue the but cap back on? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter

That is what I have been doing - moving my bottom hand up. My problem with the length of the but is that when I go to pull my left hand in on a cast I am not able to get the butt where I want it. I end up hitting myself in the ribs. I was at the "Going the Distance Clinic" and we were shown how to properly judge the optimal distance from reel seat to butt cap. It was explained that this distance should be close to the distance from your armpit to your grip on the rod. I think I may be able to handle the rod a little better with a slightly shorter but. Should I reconsider my planned saw work?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call

That is a good idea - to ask James. Maybe I will try to make the casting practice this weekend. There is a good 6 inches of "extra" butt. I think that the low reel casters could compensate for a little extra but below the reel by moving their top hand down a little to. I should have mentioned that the rod I was going to cut has a spinning reel on it, and the reel seat is fixed. Thanks for the advice Peter. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Punt

I guess it is settled then. I am going to cut it. No I'm not. Yes I am. No I'm not. Maybe I will. Hey James - See you Saturday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.