Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am anxiously awaiting a new 7 foot rod and reel from Cabelas (should arrive Friday) and want to test it out this weekend throwing some jigs and spoons near the Bay Bridge. Has anyone had much luck fishing lures this early in the area (i.e. Metapeake, SPSP, Kent Narrows)?

If so, where has been showing the best action and what were you using? Also I am planning on picking up some herring at the Giant for my larger rod. Are the rockfish hitting them (trying not to go broke on blood worms). Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Sandcrab mentions casting lures EARLY in the morning at SPSP from the small jetty which is left of the fishing beach. Lures tend to be the ticket at Kent Narrows, but I think its usually more of a fall activity. Never had any luck at Metapeake with lures, but I have tried.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HuskyMD. Made my first trip out to Metapeake for the first time 2 weeks ago after reading everyone's rave reviews. Seems like the opening between the pilings and the pier would be perfect for plastics when there aren't boats driving through.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
FF,

I'm going to give you a time-honored list of the traditional lures that I use for SPSP and Matapeake. Please don't tell anyone. ;)

SPSP - Fish the jetty to the left of the small boat launch area at first light (Be there during darkness with the sun coming up) and cast topwater plugs (Saltwater Zara Spooks, Floating Rapalas, and large 7" Shad Assassins rigged for topwater) to the jetty end and sides. Another good lure for Summertime stripers and blues is a Stingsilver in 1-1/4 oz with a large white clouser or deceiver minnow rigged on a teaser setup tied to a swivel 24" above the lure. I have caught two stripers at a time on this rig! :)

Matapeake - Fish the end of the pier near the boat entrance. Cast to the pilings on the far side with topwater plugs, bucktails, and lead heads laced with long, squid strips. The squid leadhead works good in the boat launch area for flounder. So far, I have only had a couple of keeper flounder from this area but they are there. Another good spot is the picnic area before you enter the pier on your left side. Go to the far left of the wall and cast topwater plugs and plastics. I have had pretty good success for trout there during the season.

Bottom line - Cast anywhere there is topwater activity such as baitfish boiling on top.

All said - You should do really well especialy during the Summer when you can see baitfish on top. The trick is to follow the baitfish as they boil on top. Lures is the way to go! ;)

They have been catching some nice stripers at AI but on bunker.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SandCrab you are the man! Thanks for all your help. I may actually have a clue what I am doing by the end of this season. Do you use a shock leader when you are fishing lures? When the blues start coming in, will using a steel leader hurt my chances at trout and flounder?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I'm no metapeake regular. But, of the 5 or 6 times I have been there I have yet to see any baitfish "boiling". So, I'd have some bottom fishing stuff with you too.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
FF,

Throw your steel leaders out! :eek: Just more added weight that you do not need! I tie a 24" length of 50 lb test leader material (sold in large loops and twist tied - not sold in spools) to a 50 lb swivel with a cinch knot. On the other end I tie this to a 50 lb snap (not snap swivel). I attach my lure to the snap. This is all the protection you need - I have caught hundreds of blues with this setup and "metal' and have not had any bite offs.

Yes the blues are in - IRI reported them Sunday. They are fun in the bay especially when they herd baitfish and can be taken on topwater plugs. :)

Usually I do not use a leader (this type) for trout or flounder.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I'm going to be fishing bucktails for rockfish, would you suggest I use the same leader setup, or should I just tie it straight to the line?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey Husky
There schools of bait fish around Matepeake..I normaly catch alewifes bay anchovies and glassminnows with a cast net starting in late May by july there Blues and spanish macks blowing up on bait fish between the pier and the fish net off the right corner ...FF I normaly use a got-cha off matepeake and romancoke for blues striper,and weaks..i hope this helps
later Dre'

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Idealy, lures such as bucktails should be tied directly to the main line with either a loop knot or simular knot to allow the bucktail to swing free.

The sling knot is close to the loop knot in that it allows freedom of movement of the lure. This knot is ideal for topwater plugs too.

See the P&S "How to" area.
http://www.pierandsurf.com/knots/kingsling.shtml

1 - 10 of 10 Posts