Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thrify - are you OK? Let us know as I haven't seen you post since the storm!!

Has anyone heard about Grandview? I am thankful we still have Lynnhaven and the Willowby Spit pier. We got our poer turned back on after 24 hours. Some people here are still without and will be for a couple of days. Hope you Va. Beach folks are doing OK! Wish I could help!!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Thrifty here.....just checking in

Thanks for the concern catfishmama. We just got our power on about 45 minutes ago. And do I have an adventure to talk about.

I hope things are ok there for you and your mom. Your city got a bit of Isabel too I see. I had no idea it was going to come up that way. Is the power on at you worksite?

Let me give a quick recap of the past few days. After getting mom and my youngest to higher ground, my oldest son and I finished boarding up the house. Water was rising fast at the end of the street, which is about 200 to 225 feet away. Couldn't figure how the boats at the end of the street could be higher than the street. That was an eerie sight. After taking one last look in the rear view mirror I hit the gas and headed outta there as fast as I could. Had to be maybe 3pm or so.

Got to my aunts house and was greeted by more than a few other safety seekers. I sure wasn't quite in the mood for the numerous kids that were there. My week had been preparation and preparation. I was looking forward to laying down and getting some well needed rest. I was wiped out. Anyway, seems everyone had to leave cause the chimney had just blown off their place. They had to get back to Norfolk...thru the then still open tunnel.

Time seemed to pass quickly for us as we talked and what not. Till I heard and felt a light thump . Well I'm sure you can guess what caused the thump. This huge tree had fallen. It was between my aunt's house and her neighbors house. Fortunately the tree didn't belong to my aunt. Cause it blew with the direction of the wind. The roots were so well spread that they took up half the grass when the tree fell over. It hit and clung to a power line. That's probably why it didn't make a loud thump when it fell. It took out three of their vehicles. It also took up the underground telephone cable, that we didn't find out till the phone signal went from occassional static to completely dead. We all breathed a sigh of relief about the tree. Seems she was worried about this tree. I do recall here looking over at it and making a comment about it when we were bringing our things in. Well her worried are over. And no more falling leaves for her to have to rake. She's a senior with two hip replacements under her belt.

We started getting calls throughout the night with neighbors telling of the many falling trees and downed power lines. I did eventually get that needed rest. Had to be around midnight when I finally got to sleep. I think I nodded off right in the middle of a sentence. I was tired.

Well, woke up ready to head out around 6 am. Got mom's breakfast to her. Waited til 7am. End of curfew time. Went outside and saw the tree across the street on another neighbor's house. This was a pine tree. At least 43 years old. I was a baby when the neighborhood was established. Tree could have been even older. It snapped near the ground and fell, again with the direction of the wind....which was away from our side of the street, onto a house. It snapped again about midway up and that portion fell from the roof over the back of the house. Just destruction. The lady there felt it was a thunderstorm of sorts that took it down. We did have lightning I believe. I kept seeing flashed in the night sky as I was talking myself to sleep.

I finally head out, with my youngest at my side, to go back home and see what was facing us. Unfortunately it took us nearly an hour to find a route out of the neighborhood. There were hundreds of trees downed on the streets we were navigating. Dead ends and u-turning cars everywhere. Seems the best chances of getting out was by attempting to cross over and dodge under downed and dangling lines. So me, being the cautious one, I decided to take a wait and see approach.:rolleyes: . I waited til some daring soul came along to see what would happen if certain power lines were driven over. Well that strategy paid off. If no one sizzled when going over a line:jawdrop: , I felt it would be safe for me to give it a try. It worked cause I was able to find a way out. Came out right at an interstate ramp and took me and my Hoopdy and putt putted our way all the way home.

Got 8 blocks from the house and saw that the lights were still on. I was happy about that. Got home and was relieved to see there was no damage to the house. No flooding either. Some of my neighbors lost trees but that was about it. My oldest had arrived before I had. He already had the boards off the door. We went in only to find that there was no power on. Seems everyone except those in the last two blocks had power. We were in the open and the winds just took a lot of lines down. We lost two thirds of the pecan tree that was in the back yard. Other than that, nothing else noticeable. The boats in the yacht club across the street had settled back down as the water had receeded. Glad of that! By looking at the debri that was left we figured we were just spared. Water came to within 50 feet of the house. Thank goodness Isabel didn't hit at the incoming tide and thank goodness that southwesterdly wind came in near the end and forced the water to not rise but instead go out during the 3 am high tide.

Main thing is we are safe. That's all that counts. Izzy is long gone but she sure won't soon be forgotten. We even went over to the creek and fished. Caught some nice size spots. No better way to relax than that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.