Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email announcement from North Fork Composites about their new 12' surf blank. Specs look like it might be a nice lightweight 6nBait rod. I've not built any NFC blank based rods so not sure what to expect but the blank only weighs 9 ounces.

Here are the specs:

SURF 1207-2 Stats

Blank Length: 12'0"

Blank Weight: 9 oz grams / 255 grams

Butt Diameter: 0.79

Tip: 9.0

ERN: 34.8

AA: 67

Line: 15-50lb

Lure: 2-10oz

Finish: Matte, Slightly Ridged, With "Black Widow" weave on blank, length of weave 45"

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Gary Loomis has built nice sticks as long as I can remember.

Likely expensive because someone in the USA built the Blank.

If you build it and it outcasts Century and CTS at the Point then you will have a slight advantage until the rest of the DrumPros get hooked up by GaryL.

I have three GLoomis Fly Rods and they are the Kind to me.

If you were not around in the 60's then you might not recognize the Kind.

G Loomis built a secret Drum rod that is still in use today, but the DrumPro secrets will not let me reveal which one it was.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My email said the blank is on pre-order:

THIS BLANK IS ON PRE-ORDER, THE PRICE ($249) WILL BE THE LOWEST PRICE THAT THIS BLANK WILL EVER BE AVAILABLE AT. DUE TO FIBER ALLOCATION/SUPPLY AFTER THE INITIAL PRE-ORDER, THEY WILL NEVER BE ON SALE. AN AUTHENTICITY CERTIFICATE SIGNED BY GARY LOOMIS WILL BE INCLUDED WITH YOUR ORDER, ONE PER BLANK.

PLEASE ALLOW ABOUT 45 DAYS FOR DELIVERY

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
This sure is tempting. Especially the part where the price will never again be available.

Every time I think I am done for a while building sticks something new comes along.

I have had a Century Blank for Cobia Fishing sitting on the rod lathe unwrapped for going on 4 months.

I am steeling myself to finish the Century Build before I order a new project.

I have a 1507 All Star that will likely almost do anything that this new rod will do.

It sure would be nice to test one though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bet ….I recently took the plunge had 2 heavers built off the 13ft 6-10 CCP Gen 2 blank made to 12’4” …they turned out really nice …Grant Herren did a great job. I had the 13ft factory rod …sold it ..threw the new one this weekend a bit ..perfect length for me ..noticeably lighter
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Bumper

better accuracy and control. I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've heard people talking about the CTS 1205 and saying good things about it for both holding on the beach and putting in a rod holder.
Joker got me to thinking about the 1205 after talking to him at a rod building show last winter. He's a big guy and thought the 12 ft rod on a long day made a big difference if you are holding it. Nick had one for sale the other day and I missed it. It would be mine if I had saw it a few minutes earlier. I have thought and thought about these blanks though. I sort of hoping I can run across a couple 1508's honestly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts