Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,
Haven't had a chance to be on this site in a while. Used to sign in under the name "Addicted" many years ago when I lived in Maryland (forgot my password). I moved to NYC for work a few years ago and, you guessed it, can't really fish here. Thus, the name NYC Fishless.

Anyhow, I booked a beach house in Gulf Shores, AL for the first week of September. I have never been, but the girlfriend has. I plan to do as much surf fishing as possible. Probably will bring a surf rod and a smaller rod for lures.

What can I expect when I am down there? And do you all suggest certain baits, lures? I was hoping for some reds if they are around, but I'm not greedy. Any pullage will do at this point. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have not fished there in two years but there is a canal on the west side of GS along the beach cottages that feeds the Gulf. Every evening, like 7PM to 9PM there is a feeding frenzy where the canal emptys into the Gulf. Big Red Fish, Ladyfish, sharks can be had. Pompano/ladyfish are in the surf during the day. Ladyfish hit spoons and bright colored topwater spooks. Trout cruise the beach in the early morning hours, purple spooks worked well. We also fished the point at Ft Morgan early morning as the sun comes up. We often would catch a serious red fish blitz that would last for up to 2 hours. Jack Crevel were also in the mix. We used gold and silver Johnson Spoons w/single hooks, size 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce. Just before you enter Ft Morgan there is a road that leads to the beach along the SE wall of the fort. At the beach we have caught citation specks on 3/8 ounce jig heads w/pink or chartreuse flukes (4"), topwater spooks, red/white, chartreuse, bone colored worked well. When we targeted ladyfish/reds using spoons we would use a 12 inch wire leader. We decided this after loosing $30.00 in spoons one morning. Good luck.:fishing:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
August 30- Sept 5 report Gulf Shores

Arrived in Gulf shores on Saturday just in time for Gustav and by Sunday we were evacuated. Luckily, the rental company who we rented the beach house from kindly put us in a condo in Perdido Key, with no extra charge. Was able to start fishing on Tuesday after conditions improved. Woke up early each morning around 5:00 and hit the pass where the lagoon spills into the gulf. Casted a variety of metal, 2 0z crippled herring and kastmaster 1 1/2 golden spoon and hooked into nice size blues which were fun on light tackle. Also had success casting mirror lures as well. Caught about 15 or so during the week and lost quite a few in the wash and when they went airborn. Also, hooked into some nice spanish mackeral casting the kastmaster spoon in front of the beach house after wading out to the sandbar. On Thursday morning decided to use frozen finger mullet after seeing a gentleman using them the afternoon the day before with great success at the pass. Using a circle hook and no weight, I casted the mullet at the mouth of pass and allowed it to drift with the outgoing tide. Hooked and landed two nice reds using this technique and gave them to some other guys that came by later. All in all a great relaxing vacation. Got lots of sun, ate all the fried seafood I could eat...Fried crab claws! Also had fried mullet for the first time and found them delicious. Never knew bait could taste so good! Definitely will make a trip back next year. Thanks Rstocker for the tips, it definitely helped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pass to West of Gulf Shores

RSTOCKER I was down in that area about a year and a half ago and the pass I am thinking of had drifted shut due to the hurricanes. Is there another pass? How far out of Gulf Shores was the pass?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like

he was near perdido pass at the jetties. I think (gather) you were talking about the canal or big ditch to the west of gulf shores.

Bubba Feesh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts