Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year I am “unofficially winterizing” my boat.

In years past, I never even put a cover on it, I sort of used it all winter on the random warm days.

However, (with the recent cold temps, the drop in water temps, and the skunk the past few times out), I think I’m packing it up for the season.

I have heard that a cover will cause mildew/mold on everything.

Any suggestions on what to do, & how to do the whole process:

Gas?
Storage compartments?
Ropes?
Life Jackets?
Anything I’m forgetting?

The term “unofficial winterizing” means I’m putting her up until an arbitrary warm up comes in the middle of winter and I rip the cover off and take her for a spin.

What do you guys do to gettem’ through the winter months?

:fishing:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Use a fogger for the carb and the cylinder walls. For a permanant type fuel tank, fill the tank up with gas and use plenty of stabil (stabilizer) as this prevents condinsation from forming on the walls of the empty tank and extra water being mixed in and not to mention rust. Take the battery out and store it in the house or garage. Grease all fittings as this will help to prevent the steering from freezing. Grease the trailer bearings also since it will be sitting. I wrapped my outboard with an old blanket then covered it with a tarp to keep as much wind out as possible. Cover all electronics and remove and store inside where possible. Take out your fire extinguisher and store inside along with all your lifevest and flotation devices and make sure your anchor rope isnt exposed to sun or weather conditions. Cover the whole boat to keep leaves, pine cones and twigs out. If you have any vinyl use some armor all excessivley to keep dry rot out (wind). When you use the fogger you will need to take off the fuel line and plug it (from the tank) then run the motor with the spray fogger as this will run the extra fuel out and coat the insides of your motor. Might have forgotten a thing or two but im sure someone else will chime in. Hope this helps you out a lil and Good luck

·
Registered
281 Posts
On the cover - leave a hole on each end so air can pass thru yet still keep the trash out. If it "breaths" it won't get the mold and milldew inside. I tied off to the boat winch on front and went over the motor on the back. Leaves enough opening to get air in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.