Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type set up do you use and what style releases?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
12' Silstar Anchor Rod (Cheap and really stiff), large Tica spinning reel, can't remember what model, its at home while I'm at school, 7' Ugly Stik Fighting Rod, Med Action, 20-40lb line, 113HLW Senator filled with about 550 yds of 40 lb mono. 20 ft. bimini at end of line in case they wrap me around a piling, and wire rig made of 90# sevenstrand. I started out using clothespins, but now I use a wire release I got shown on CHerry Grove pier, uses stainless steel welding sire bent into a T-shape, the the two arms are insterted into swivel eye, and when fish hits it snaps free. This release is very wind resistant because the only thing bulky on it is the sinker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i use a 10 foot blue runner spinning rod for my anchor rod which is paired up with a penn 8500 SS with 30 lbs test on it. the rod handles the 6 to 8 oz pin anchors that i get from Avalon pier everytime i go there very well. for a fighting rod i have a penn senator 6/0 with 500 yds of 50# and some clear 80# as a shock leader. I use a sevenstrand leader as well usually with a #4 bronze treble in front of a owner live bait hook umm i think a 1/0??? but i forget and i use the same type wire release that was mentioned by bluerunner. i think thats bout all i do but i might be forgeting something, hope this helps.- bassboy

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yeah my spinning reel is loaded with 30 also and I have a 50lb shocker on there, 5oz anchor is usually the heaviest I throw, never really had to throw any heavier because I can usually get just as far or farther with the 5. I us a three treble hook rig, usually with 4x strong number sixes in the summer because they are smaller, and less visible, but in fall I'll go to #4 because the fish are usually bigger.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use a Penn Senator 113H with 30 lb. test with an Ugly Stik 5'6" stand-up rod with 7 Aftco rollers. For my anchor rod, I use a Gold Cup spinning reel with 30 lb. test and a Daiwa Eiliminator 11 ft. but I don't use a shocker. Instead, I use an offshore double line leader with a offshore knot, or cat's paw knot. As for my lighter set-up, I use a Penn 315 Levelwind with 20 lb. test on a 6' Penn long beach rod and the anchor rod for that one is a Penn 714ss with 30 lb. test and an Ugly Stik 11ft. with the same type of leader. On both of my fighting rods, I use the offshore leader system with 75 lb. and 350 lb. test swivels. The actual bait leaders 60# with titanium branches and #4 4x trebles. My sliders are the close line type attached to the swivel via a rubber band.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I normally use the 8 oz. anchors on my rig b/c there is a strong current and if you don't have any thing to hold your bait down, when the tides come in/out it could be a surprise where your bait is:D My Penn High speed 4/0 holds around 500 yds. of 30 lb. Trilene Big Game. The size hook on my rig normally comes into consideration when bait sizes, rating of tackle and that type of stuff come into play.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts