Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Marine Patrol has 59 sworn law enforcement officer positions along the
coast and it’s jurisdiction includes all coastal waters extending to 3 miles
offshore, and out to 200 miles offshore for some federally regulated species.
Officers monitor 2.5 million acres of water and over 4,000 miles of coastline.
Along with inspecting commercial and recreational boats, Marine Patrol officers
also check seafood markets, fish dealers, restaurants, piers, beaches and
vehicles carrying seafood.

Man,sure a lot of area and different spots to cover,with so few,don't ya think??

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Yep DD, its clear they are understaffed. I think I see th DMF on th beach only about every other trip. Easy to understand after seeing that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I haven't seen any DMF officers this year at all. Although I've heard they check the piers quite frequently at night when the pier houses are closed.

Here's a little tip, if fishing with a buddy and plan on trying to fill both limits make sure you have two coolers if fishing from the beach or pier. The laws understandable but it gets to be a pain dragging an extra cooler to the end of the pier.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Here's a little tip, if fishing with a buddy and plan on trying to fill both limits make sure you have two coolers if fishing from the beach or pier. The laws understandable but it gets to be a pain dragging an extra cooler to the end of the pier.
Sharkbite, I'm not aware of what ya are talking about. Can ya enlighten me?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Identify you kill

I imagine federal fisheries officers are like federal waterfowl officers. When we hunt ducks in jersey you can mix your bag with another hunter only if you can positively identify your kill, one of us clips a wing on our ducks. That way when the officers check you they can make sure neither of you has exceeded the limit. Course that's obviously easy enough to beat if your determined. But I would say two of you could share a cooler if one marked his fish by clipping the tails. Then again there are those officers who are a bit zealous.

By the way we do see the feds up here in the coastal zone and usually right at day break,

KM

·
Registered
285 Posts
remeber seeing it somewhere on the dmf site, one cooler = one limit of fish no matter how many people are fishing. If you want to get more, bring two coolers. I'm sure you could mark your fish somehow(run a trashbag tie in the dorsal fin or tail) of one of the limits, but I don't take any chances. If there's two of us going to be fishing together i bring an extra cooler.

Tight lines

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
me either till this year. Checked the DMF site looking for it but couldn't find it. Will shoot DMF an email to verify it.

Tight Lines,

Tim

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Weird they would make two sets of rules. Boaters/then pier an surf. Thanks for looking into it, would hate to get a ticket for not knowing. :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
I sent an email to Randy Gregory at the DMF office, he's usually pretty quick at getting back to me. Should have an answer first thing in the morning.

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts