Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Describe your favorite methods and techniques, places to fish, rigging methods etc..........

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Here's one thing I saw David Lee do that I had never seen before.

If you use a clothes pin connector, not one of those strange forked-wire ones, take a short piece of mono(5"-6") any test, tie a regular round bead on one end and tie the other end to the swivel on your leader. Clip the clothespin to the bead. This helps keep the bait from wrapping the line around the pin and it releases better.

I always fish straight out. Many people cast to the north or south, depending on the season, trying to get their bait to the fish first. The largest fish don't come in as close as the small ones so distance counts more than direction.

Never skimp on hooks. Buy 4X strong king hooks always. It's worth it to buy them for a little more and not lose a fish.

Make sure you have a strong leader( at least as long as the distance from the pier deck to the water. If you're after cobia, make it from the pier to the bottom. I prefer braided Kevlar™ because wire cutters are about the only thing that can cut it and I just bought 12 100 yd spools of it for $3.25 each from eBay. Like with the hooks, it's worth the extra money not to lose a big fish.

Evan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
1. Use the the little forked wire releases, they cut the wind better.
2. Always use a lively bait.
3. Use strong enough line on your anchor so that it doesn't break.
4. Let the fish tire himself out before you bring him close to the pier so he's easy to gaff and less likely to wrap around a piling. (Exception is when a thunderstorm is coming)
5. Always have plenty of rigs made up.
6. Get there as early as possible.
7. Menhaden is the favorite bait, with blues coming in second, but the best is whatever you can get out there.

Thats all I can think of for right now.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If possible get a rod with a roller tip guide or replace your current tip with a roller. It will increase the life of your line if you use mono.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I will definately have to give the bead thing a try. I usually double up a piece of heavy mono, tie a big knot in the end and then tie it to the swivle but it pops out easy and was having problems when all we could get was big baits.

As far as favorate place to fish for kings, Ocean crest pier on oak island :) Great bunch of people on the end and the pier dosen't cost an arm and a leg. They also have the T setup nice with a big live bait tank table to eat/tie rigs and plenty of room for all your stuff :D I usually stick to fishing the weekdays because the weekends tend to get a bit crowded.

For those that fish piers with bait tanks remember, it's a community tank and therefor it should be a community effort to keep plenty of bait in there. Also if you happen to get there before anyone else and you have some bait it's always a good idea to share, You never know when you'll need some bait later in the day and can't catch any.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yeah the bead thong helped me alot because I use a heavy wire leader and the swivel was so large that when I clipped it in it would pop out too easily. The bead works better because you can adjust the bead size to fit your connector.

Unless someone has come up with a rig that will catch menhaden, buy a cast net and 40' of braided polyprolene(sp?). Tie the extra rope to the loop on the castnet rope and throw it near popping fish.(make sure the fish aren't popping because of a king before you throw, and if you're not sure ask first) This is a much easier way to catch pogies then snagging and blues aren't always biting.

Okay, last tip. ALWAYS use a rod leash. A dog leash will work fine. Tie one end to the pier and attach the clip to your reel's harness lugs(those little metal loops on the tops of the sideplates) or another place. I saw a guy two years ago that had his rod set in one of the Down East rod clamps and a shark came up and took his bait. The shark took off so fast that the reel seat snapped off the rod and his whole rig went overboard. USE A LEASH AND NO SUPER-TIGHT DRAG.

There, I'm all out of tips.

Evan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
kingfisherman23 said:
bead thong
???:jawdrop: :D whats that? :D

For those who don't know the wire release clip i smade of stainless steel welding wire, i don't know where they get it but I found out about it on cherry grove pier. You take about a 10in length of the wire and bed it in half. slide a bead up it starting from the two ends and up to the bend. then slide a egg sinker of your choice on, then another bead. bend the ends up so that the whole thing kind of resembles a t. to attach to your fighting line squeeze the two ends together (don't bend the wires just squeeze so it looks like a L) and slide into the ring on your swivel. when a fish hits the swivel will pop free. you have to experiment with the length of the ends until it releases at the right tension. This release is EXTREMELY wind resistant and will allow you to get way out in windy conditions, without using a whole lot of weight.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
bluerunner said:
???:jawdrop: :D whats that? :D
:eek:
I can't spel.:rolleyes:

You said you fish CG? Who are you and were you out the weekend of Oct. 17? If so, I probably met you.

Yeah I've seen those wire releases and they looked pretty cool. I learned how to make them. I use paperclip-type wire from a craft store and weights from 1/2 to 2 oz so I can be ready for any wind.

Light drag and heavy kings.

Evan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i've fished it, but i wasn't there then. I use a 7' Ugly Stik and 113Hlw for fighting, used to use a black 8' spinner for anchor, but now have a white 12' silstar. my name is jamie. i don't know if we've ever fished together but we know a lot of the same people i bet, perry, david lee, the colonel, richard

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Never fished with Richerd but I've been out there with his grandson.

I know David Lee. He ran a drunk off the pier back in Oct.:p

The colonel aka Hoss?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
nah the colonels shorter than hoss

·
Registered
320 Posts
i was there when he ran off that drunk. i fish at cherry grove pier and i love those breakaway clips. i will never switch. Most people say that cg are a bunch of aholes but i dont think so.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My name is kyle. Im pretty sure i was down there when he ran off that drunk. He called sucrity on him the time i saw him do that. It might have been a diffrent day. Whats your name kingfisherman?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You Charlie's brother?

I was the one with the white Ted Williams lever-drag reel that Perry offered to buy. And the short white spinning rod for an anchor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i remember you. You had that ted williams reel. thats pretty cool. You will have to tell me if you come up again maybe we will be down there at the same time

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
This has nothing to do about the subject above,I want to know about surf fishing on Yaupon beach or Bald Head Island is there any information that I can get on these places and how do I require it,the reason is that in a few years I'll be retired and thinking of moving to the area. Thank you TRIGGER:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not sure about Yaupon beach only been past there a few times in a boat catching bait on the way out king fishing. I have fished the inlet side of Bald Head island from a boat(by the light house, lots of deep water 30-40 yards off the beach. Caught a lot of big whiting, plenty of bluefish, sharks, they catch cobia in the inlet by boat so i'm sure you can catch 'em from the beach, they also get some kings up in the inlet during the spring run. Then not far off the other end of the island (ocean side) you have Frying Pan Shoals which produce a lot of blues, spanish mackerel, and quite a few other species :)

Here's a map for ya.

Hope this helps some

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks sharkbite is there 4X4 access onto the beach and do you need a permit,like up here from VA. to NJ. we pay for a permit to drive on the beach,any information will do. Thanks TRIGGER

·
Registered
285 Posts
These is some beach driving allowed i think in the state park area only. As I haven't been on the island and don't own a 4x4 i'm not sure where it is or how much it costs. You can probably contact someone at the Southport/Oak Island Chamber of Commerce and they would be able to fill ya in on anything you would need to know about both Yaupon Beach and Bald Head Island.

Southport-Oak Island Chamber of Commerce

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts