Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For bottom fishing in the surf with bait. What have you guys been using and how is your sucess? I think I might have a problem getting used to not setting the hook.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
What fish are you targeting? I now use circles for almost everything. For croakers th smallest I have gone down to is 2/0 but think I might want to go lower. For bigger fish I am still playing,but have 8-9/0 gammis and 10/0 Mustads so far.Once you get over th "Bill Dance hook set" you will like it. ;) Let th fish do th work. :D

R

·
0 Posts
IVE ALWAYS USED TH COVENTIONAL OR STANDARD HOOKS THIS YEAR IVE SWITCHED TO TH CIRCLE HOOKS TH FISH MOSTLY HOOK THERE SELVES PLUS DONT REALLY SWALLOW IT VS THE OTHER HOOK BUT FOR MY BIG CUT BAIT I GO WITH THE STANDARDS FOR THE EXTRA BARBS RC

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use circle hooks, even for big bait chunks when targeting shark. However, you will lose an occasional hook up because the bait will get in the way of the circle hook.
Considering that, I'd rather lose a fish because the circle hook didn't catch than kill a fish because it's gut hooked.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I use circle hooks 100%. Last Saturday my brother and myself caught well over 100 sea bass and everyone was hooked in the upper corner lip using #2 Gamakuasu octopus circle hooks. Some other folks were regular "J" hooks and had a fair number of gullet hooked fish. Since we released over half the fish it was important the way they were hooked.

Catman.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Circle hooks are all I use anymore since I just fish for fun. Set the hooks on my rigs and forget it. The fish have a way of letting you know they need some help getting unhooked! ;)

Macman

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically, I'm interested in changing to circles mostly because when I am on the beach with my young daughter I don't have the attention on fishing like I should. Seems she's more interested in playing in the sand. I mostly fish in jersey, sometimes delaware and the outerbanks. My target is usually whats inseason.

·
Registered
24 Posts
circles are great especially for drum and sheapshead, i usually use a 4/0 circle and that works great. i still use the regular j-hooks also but for certian types of bottom fishin they just dont work as well as the circles......good luck ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Baron,

Setup your rigs with circle hooks, add the little "dinner bells" that are in the "X"-Mart stores, and go play in the sand with the kids. I use the bells at night and when I have the kids out at the beach. Makes fishing real easy.

Macman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Baran-

I switched to circle hooks about 2 years ago - I was skeptical at first because of the narrow gap, but I think (hope) my hook-up rate has actually increased with these hooks. On top of that, the fish are better hooked, and I personally think they hold bait better (especially clams). My only caution is this: if you rely on a long shank to protect your line from toothy blues, circle hooks offer little protection - I'd highly reccomend a wire leader (which you may [and should] use already). Other than that, they're great. TIP: when fishing fresh clams in the surf on circle hooks, bury the whole hook inside the body of the clam, and then make a few wraps of heavy duty white cotton thread around the body. The hook becomes (and stays) concealed completely and the bait will take more abuse.

-Rockfish

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I just bought like 7 different packages of circle hooks at BSP. Some are Gama... and others are another brand whose name I was unfamiliar with (but cost about $1 more than Gama...).

So, Once I snell them up, I will stop using the J hooks for the most part.
I have had good luck with the circle hooks as far as not getting gutted. Verdict is still not out as far as hookup ratio.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I just received a Bear Paw Hooks catalog. They wanted 2.25 for 6 snelled hooks. Do you think thats a good deal?

And, they are charging me 6.95 for shipping!! :mad: :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The ones I got at BPS ranged from $2.19 for 6 (maybe 8?) to $3.99 for 6 (8?).

Hey, If I snell them, what kind of know do you use for the loop part (not the snelling part)??

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Husky,

A "double overhand knot" is the same as a "double surgeon" knot. ;)

I use 50, 80, or 100 lb test leader material depending on the hook size. Snells in the surf are always tied on 100 lb test leader material less shark rigs which are 150 lb wire. The wire gets tied with some haywire twists and a barrel wrap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts