Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might interest those who are currently wondering about shark fishing and for that matter. any kind of fishing from shore or pier.

the city of virginia beach says it is illegal to fish for sharks. ok,,\

1. whos to say what is going to bite your rig when you have a chunk of meat on it?.

2. since when did the city of virginia beach have jurisdiction over the fishing regulations, i thought the state did that.

it is to my understanding that the city has no jurisdiction over the tidal waters of the atlantic ocean from the mean low water line out.. \

when you go buy a fishing license it doesnt have the city seal on it does it? no. and furthermore, when is the last time the city did anything to benefit the preservation of our tidal waters that you can recall. if anybody has any input or i have something wrong here please let me know.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Ahh th joys of living in a Tourist trap, er I mean destination. ;) I lived 6 blocks from Colonial Williamsburg growing up.It was amazing what th city would do to keep th "image" of our city what it wanted it to be to not upset th money, I mean tourist. :confused:

·
Registered
239 Posts
pretty funny stuff huh? I think I remember something about that. It came after the attacks two summers ago. They must have thought fisherman were dumping 50 gallon drums of blood+meat off of piers like a scene from jaws. I live in richmond. Our city council just voted to withdrawl from Iraq. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes fishwagon, the general public instantly linked the shark bite fatality to fishermen.

Shark fishing is a specific style of fishing that involves putting alot of chum in the water to attract sharks. The chum greatly increases the chances of catching sharks.

Simply throwing chunk of bait on the bottom and hoping to catch a shark is not shark fishing, and this is not what the city is trying to limit.

The year before there was another shark bite at Sandbridge that few heard about. One of the regulars on LIP had a momentary lapse of sense and picked up a shark by its tail to "slam against the deck" and take it out of its misery. Well, the shark being shark, curled completely into an "O" and bit the guy on the forearm. Nasty wound. The "bambulance" hauled him away to the hospital.

A couple of years before that there was yet another shark bite at LIP. An unwary fisherman tried to hold down a shark with his foot by stepping on its head. Shark popped out from under boot and clamped on to his leg and would not let go. Fortunately he was wearing brand new jeans (tough cloth) and the only injuroes he suffered were minor skin abrasions. Shark had to be killed and cut off his pant leg - he was clamped on so tightly. Lucky.

This same year yet another local kid from the northern neck got stung by a butteryfly ray - the smallish, very round shaped rays. Instead of just cutting the hook and not handling the thing he JUST HAD to recover his $2 "yami-what-do-you-call-it" fancy hook. He went to step on the ray's tail, ray pulled tail out from under tennis-shoe and stung guy on ankle. This guy, all 250lbs of him, came crashing down amongst the heavers -he went into iemmediate anaphylactic shock. He came down like a ton of bricks - instantly! Boy! You should have seen all those GORGEOUS female lifeguards respond to his aid! The bambulance hauled this guy away too. I was VERY impressed how toxic these critters are!!

Words to the wise: If it's a critter best be wary, or you'll be sorry!

Lou

·
Registered
300 Posts
WOW :eek:

Ok, Im new to saltwater fishing so if I catch a shark from the pier, what is the best way to "handle" it?

The rays - I catch tons of them and have picked them up with my hands to be sure not to damage its skin when throwing them back in the water. If not for reading your post I might have done that to the butterfly ray and gotten dropped also.

How do you handle them?

What other dangerous things come from the sea that need to be taken heed of?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts