Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a nail knot tool for joining a short piece of leader material (mono/flouro depending on the situation) and so far that has worked really well with 15 lb braid and 12 lb Seaguar flouro leader. Well, I want to switch something a tick on the heavier side, maybe 20 lb leader material. I tried to tie a nail knot with the tool, and the knot was pretty big. Just wondering what other folks are using? I've looked at the Red Philips and sebile knots, but just wondering if there is a better solution.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
For my light inshore stuff, i mostly use 10 lb braid to 20 or sometimes 25 lb fluoro. I just double the braid and tie a double uni knot with 8 turns in the doubled braid and 4 turns in the 20/25 fluoro. Basically just try to get the knot as symmetrical as possible.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I fish with 12# braid and 15-25# mono/flouro leader depending on conditions. I have landed larger fish (largest being 27" Drum @ 9lbs) with the following.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgeon.htm

I use this know for all my braid to mono/flouro connections as well as just about any time I want a leader to my main line. Only thing I change from time to time is the number if times I pass the line through the loop. I usually loop through 4 times as that's what seems to work best.

Not saying that the others are not good I just like a small knot and this is what I use because it works form IMHO.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't know how it will work in your application but I did tests on 20lb mono to 20lb Power pro and the J knot was VERY impressive. It would be a perfect knot for tying a section of mono leader onto braid running line. Just be sure to give it the old pull test first! Google up "J" knot and you'll get a number of sites that describe how to tie the knot.

In my testing, again with 20 to 20, I tested the J, a uni to uni, and a nail to nail. The J was easily stonger than the other two.

Warden

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Terry, if I am feeling lazy I do a uni uni as I don't use but 12-18" of fluro,so knot size dosen't matter.

If going for larger fish and want the leader on the reel, I use the spider to no name.

Have had the fluro slip out of the spider just using 3 wraps like I normally do so I go with 5 wraps in the no name when connecting to the braid.

This is going 10# braid to 20# fluro.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
About the only time I use a floro leader is on small stuff so it's usually 10 lb. braid to 10-20 lb. floro and all I've ever used is the nail to dbl. the braid and a uni-uni to make the connection. I'm like Clay too, never use much more than a 24" leader so it doesn't see the top eyelet on the rod. Easy to do and easy to do in a hurry if you break-off, never had issues either.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I have used the SB with great confidence untill this last spool of Tri+. Good knot with braid or mono when tied right.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
How many wraps up and then down are you using for the alberto? I was using 6 up and 6 down on 10# braid 20# fluoro last weekend and had one slip so I switched back to the nail and had no problems.
Using 6... Are you running the line out through the same way you started it??

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Maybe I'm tying the alberto knot wrong here, but the wraps slip off the loop of the leader when I pull tight. Not all of the wraps, but that scares me enough. BTW how much tag end do you leave, half inch enough?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used the Alberto and liked it. Haven't caught a fish with it yet, but using gloves to pull the lines, it broke the braid before the knot.

·
Registered
862 Posts
20 twist Bimini in braid with a Yucatan knot connecting to leader. Have not had any problems with this combo yet but time may tell. The most reliable connection I have found is a 20 turn Bimini to a 5+ double uni. I have never had this fail. I have used this for drum, Cobia, Bluefin Tuna, Marlin etc. only downside is that the uni connection is pretty big. Slim beauty is a nice small knot but does not last as long, has to be retied often. The first wrap will actually cut into the leader during prolonged fights.

I like a 44-turn BT to double the braid, and then an Alberto to connect the braid to the mono. :fishing:
20 turn bimini tests out stronger than more or less turns. 40 turn Bimini in braid actually tests out at about 1/2 the strength of a 20 turn.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts