Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an extra day off and went to the Tank and caught a few small Rock and a 17" er that had legions all over it's body from head to tail,one spot and one toad. Caught the Rock off frozen peeler used half of a crab each time I caught one,had blood worms and caught spot and small Rock the toad was caught off cut bait,the blues were on the other side of the new bridge,couldn't cast that far to reach them,was the only fisherman on the bridge the whole day.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Blues on the other side of the bridge

ON Sunday I noticed the same thing..a school of blues on the other side of the rte 50 bridge...1 boat trying to catch them..the blues never crossed under the bridge toward the pier..tight lines to all! Murphman:)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The Tank is so hit and miss right now. Once in a while we hear a good report, a bunch of people go, and end up with little or no fish. I have deemed the Tank a wash this year and hope next year is better. Besides there are other places to fish that have been more productive for me this year.
-Anthony

·
Registered
17 Posts
Peeler

When fishing with peelers do you use circle hooks or the traditional type?

I've only used peelers once...and that was with circle hooks. I questioned the hooks effectiveness with that type of bait because of the firmness of the shell. I thought it would be more difficult for the hook to set itself.

Maybe I just need a bigger hook?..... Anyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bearded_clam- I used a #5/0 circle hook and used only half of a crab,hooked it right above the apron and came through the bottom,that's how I was catching Rock yesterday.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I use circle hooks when fishing with peelers. Actually I use circle hooks for almost all of my fishing. I just change the size when targeting certain species. I use size 6 owner hooks for spot and perch, size 2/0 for almost everything else, size 5/0 if the fish are running large, and size 8/0 for live-lining for really large fish. Hope this helps.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there's a Dicks sporting store near you they have the 5/0,6/0,70 and 8/0 eagle claw circles in packs of 25 for $4 and the smaller 4/0,3/0,2/0 in packs of 5 for $2 and some change. If I can find owens circles I like 5/0 & 6/0 for larger fish. 3/0 was good for me when the croaker were hitting,just my.02. TRIGGER:D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
You'll never convince me to use any circles other than Owners ever again. Best hooks I've ever used, and they always stick.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Owner are my favorite circle hooks. I also use gatamatsu, or however they are spelled.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's on Rt. 175 and Dobbin Rd. in Columbia,you can't miss it,sits on the corner right on Rt.175. If your on Rt. 29 going toward Balt. you take the first exit onto Rt.175 follow that for 3miles(3rd traffic light) make that left and stay in your right hand lane,you'll pass it on your right,go up to the first light and hang a right,when you turn there will be to enterances(DON'T TAKE THE FIRST ONE) go to the second one and it will take you to the front door. If your coming from Rt.1 make a left at Rt.175 toward Columbia,I think it's 2 or 3 lights to Dobbin Rd. at that light make a left. TRIGGER

·
Registered
369 Posts
There is a Dick's Sporting Goods that just opened in Waldorf, MD. They are a chain store now. The first store was in Vestal, N.Y. The second store was in Binghamton, N.Y.( my home town). The two stores are about 20 minutes apart. Dicks clothing and sporting goods was the only store in town that specailized in hunting and fishing stuff. I have been shopping there my entire life and the prices are ususally fair. The store that just opened in Waldorf, MD looks like it needs a little more stock for salt water fishing. It is not bad from were the store originally came from, in upstate New York.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Owner Hooks - Where to buy

I can't recall seeing them in Dick's or Sprots Authority.

Probably looking in the wrong stories.....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I guess it depends how extensive their saltwater fishing section is. I have found that more sporting goods store closer to the bay and ocean tends to have more saltwater fishing suppies.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know at Dicks you can find only Eagle claw and Gamakatsu circles but I think I found Owners at walmart in Ellicott city Rt.40.

·
Registered
206 Posts
if you are going to dick's to look for saltwater stuff they have a larger selection at the Richmond store and one in MD. I live right by the Dulles, VA store and was asking about some equipment and the guy called richmond and somewhere in Maryland. Gamakatsu hooks are unbelievable, so sharp, the large G-Mag hooks work well for peelers you can hook through the body and still have some gap for a hookset.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Galyan's has owner as well as some eagle claw circles. They're like a Sport's Authority w/ a little more focus towards camping, canoeing, climbing, etc. as opposed to golf and tennis. Come to think of it, Sport's authority has really sucked lately. At least they have Stren High impact saltwater in hi vis green

1 - 20 of 21 Posts