Pier and Surf Forum banner

@ the Spit this weekend

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  The Bucket 
#1 ·
7-26-03 730am.S/W wind.Fished the out going tide.Tossed 4 inch chartreuse Storm shads and a black and silver wind-cheater.All lures casted was successful.Landed a nice 5/6 lbs trout and numerous 5/6 lb Chopper blues.I ran out of plastics so my wind cheater had a little work out.
Saw Shorebird and His Misses.They were slammming the blues with light colered bass assasins.Mr Shorebird himself landed a nice size trout,Finally :D ,prior to there departure.I left the Spit with a cooler full of Choppers and 1 healthy trout.

Came back to the Spit @ 3:30pm.Gusty S wind.High Tide.Water color was dirty.Cold front and T-storms ap[proaching.Me and my buddy Dave tossed a variety of lures,but what seemed to land the fish were the 4 inch chartreuse Storm Shad.With an extremely slow retrieve,landed 6 nice trout.We again landed 2, 5 pounders.All the other fish kept were around 2-3 pounds each.Threw all the pan fry size trout back.
We fished till we couldn't take the cold rain and lightning any longer.

4-27-03 6am.S wind ,outgoing tide.Caught alot a grass.Good to see Lars made it out.Told him about the bite he had missed a day ealier.Not a whole lot happened on Sunday.Saw 1 nice size flounder caught on a white and pink grub.I finally scored a trout @ around 930am.The fish was hooked on the black/silver windcheater on a really slow retieve.Another healthy trout,may be 4-5 lbs.

Tight lines!

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn! I wish I'd made the trip on Saturday morning instead of leaving it to the afternoon only to find the I-64 eastbound all messed up... :mad:

I kept fishing for maybe 30-45 minutes after you left on Sunday, but I had no luck. Maybe the fish bite had stopped because of the T-storm on Saturday, I don't know. Well, I guess I just gotta work harder at it next weekend ;)

#5 ·
Hey Lil Buddy, I must have just missed ya Sunday. Waited around for Mrs S&F to decide what she was going to do. She finally decided at 10:30 it was going to be too chilly so I headed out. Got there around 11:00 and fished until 3:30.

Well the fishing wasn't as good as you say Saturday was. Fish usually feed before the storm, but it wasn't a shut out either.

There were a few people there besides me. Some were not fun to be around and had no regard for cleaning up. One drunk threw his empty malt liquer bottle in the bay. I stood there staring at him and his bud made him get it, but he fell in the water twice and in the sand flat on his face. Kept staring and he finally got it out and threw it in the trash. Place was a trash mess. He's going to be one sore bro today. He fell in the rocks about three times too.

Anyway, some croaker, puffer and one gray trout were caught while I was there by others. Me, I got me a nice black drum, 17" and 3 lbs on a fishbite clam strip on the incoming about 3PM. Beautiful day, but chilly.

Although I was proudly wearing my new P&S hat I didn't run across any other P&S members, or no one owned up to it anyway. (Wished I had on my new P&S long sleeve shirt too. It was real chilly when the wind blew.)
:D

#8 ·
Dave, if you're talking about the jetty with the "Danger - Obstruction" sign at the end, then it's the same spot. We were casting from there towards the HRBT with jigs and swimmers. I've only tried fishing this spot a couple of times for real and I haven't caught anything yet, but I remain optimistic. Sunday morning was just slow and most of the guys who were there got skunked. I did see one flounder and two trout get caught though (the "flounder guy" caught the other trout).

#10 ·
Lars,any size to the "flounder guy" 's trout?

Surf-N-Turf,Had to go to a photo sitting for my daughter(1 year old).
Yeah if you can't handle your alcohol you know you can't handle no rod.

rigger dave-Bring plastics(1 to 1 1/2 oz lead heads) and a diving lure(preferabley a wind-cheater or any diving plug)With what's been going on the last couple of times bottom fishing,I have pulled up enough grass to feed a 100 cows)Like I said in my post,you have to be meticulouse about how you are reteiving your cast.I have success reeling in extremely slow,but you should exp[eriment with that.
And 1 last thing:
Tight lines and monster trout to every1:
And to quote Jack Ace"Throw the small ones back" ;)

#12 ·
NS4D,

THX for the info. Its on there givin' the 20+ guys I fished amongst 630-8pm. Few nice Greys, some smaller greys, few blues, and one small flatman in the brown suit. Unfortunately, I struck out again long story that I actually attempted to submit until when I went to post my ISP bounced me :mad:

Please stop me now as I've gotten on a bad roll :eek:

Like I couldn't buy a fish.

Thanks again, so close yet so far away.

`bucket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.