Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to fish early in the AM.Threw various 4 inch Storm Shads.Hooked up with 2 17inch Flatties.Threw them back,Stuck around till I had to goto work.

Went back ,around brunch(took an extended lunch),tossed some metal,various Gotcha's and Storm Shads.Hooked up with some small taylors on the Metal,wasted 2 Storms,and hooked up with 2 more barely legal flounders on the Gotcha's.Kept 1 blue,got ridiculed from the unsavy bottom dwellars(fishing for croakers and spot),for throwing the flounders back.Saw 2 nice 22 incher landed on silverish bass assasins.To hell with them!

Need to vent,I am limited to my fishing time,due to work,so I fish when I got the time.With that said,Went to the Spit on 5-10-03 @ 1100 am..30 min later 3 whole families, kids and all showed up to bottom fish.I exchanged pleasantries,as I casted my lure out,and they were setting up camp besides me.You would figuire since I had my surf cart PARKED were I was fishing,they would have some courtesy to leave me some room to fish.Nope......There first cast went over my line,and here I am reeling in there bottom rig.OK....SH$T happens and didn't pay it No Mind.Ok after the 3rd and 4th time this happens,Houston WE Have A Problem.They all look at me as if I did not have a clue or didn't respect there bottom rigs as they fought ther spots and croakers into there coolers.What I found ammussing was as the tide was coming in Theree 2 oz's were no longer holdin bottom,so I knew I smelt trouble.
"Hey I was here first",I thought to myself.I wasn't planning on fishing long,just through my lunch,and I had to put up with this crap.So what do I do?I moved,I didn't want to spoil the family's outing as they slung fish after fish into 3 coolers.And as they loudly boasted,"We will have all 3 coolers full by 1pm" I shook my head in disgust,as I still see there kids slinging 2 oz missles closer and and closer to my line(they needed to cast away from since the current was coming in!).
Why do you bring your kids to fish,when their parents don't show them how to cast straight?
Well the answer could be,even when the family's kids did happen to get there bottom rigs in the water,they were pulling croaker after croaker after spot in.So the Kids were helping in the pillaging.

So with that said.I left in a foul and disgusted mood.I have fished the Spit when it has been elbow to elbow,casting lures,and never had such terrible foul ups as I encountered on Saturday.I even made some real great friends when it is elbow to elbow.Fishing with other courteous and well educated fisher(persons)can bring the comaradarie and competiveness that makes you a better fisherman.But when greed is involved and the lack of an eduction on how to properly cast is imminent,You can have that fishing hole,I will go find another.... You won't see me fish the Spit when it's that stupid again!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same thing happened to me under the Lesner last night. One guy kept his two bottom rig right at the foot of the bridge at angles where nobody else could fish in the lateral current portion. You know, he cast one of his rods 20 degrees to the left and his other rod 20 degrees to the right. See picture below. When I kept pulling his rig in, he looked at me like I was the rude one.

stupid .
guy .
ME:
$#@!*^

·
Registered
232 Posts
nsearch4drum,

When you mention rude people, I think of an old Alfred Hitchcock story I read as a kid. This fellow learns he has terminal cancer, so he decides to "terminate" all the rude people in town. He would leave a note for the cops "This person was rude" was all it read. Word spread and the town began to "behave". I have been known to suggest a triangle or heavier weight to those in need of "assistance". I always have plenty of 3's and 4's on hand. ;) You did good!

Macman

·
Registered
515 Posts
You know, your story reminds of why (#1) I fish a lot on the weekdays now, and (#2) why I throw back A LOT OF KEEPER FLOUNDER, and 99.8% of the Croaker and Spot that I catch.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / ANY BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
239 Posts
I understand it too well. I haven't kept a croaker in two years, and will rarely consider a pier unless it is a weekday, or 2:00 am-noon. When I see people plundering and acting disrespectfull it can ruin my afternoon. I'm amazed sometimes at what people do around the bay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts