Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotcha from the surf?

A top-water?

A Gator/Kastmaster spoon?

A Storm Wildeye?

A leadhead w/curly-tail or shad?

What's the right spped, rhythm, etc? I'm looking for "generic" answers, I suppose, as I'm sure that different retrieves work for different situations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Except for topwater, the lures you mention produce with a straight retrieve. I always start off with a medium retrieve. If that doesn't work try fast then slow or slow then fast. Then try adding some action with your rod tip. Jerk the lure, let it fall. Retrieve...stop...retrieve...stop.

You want to find what the fish want at that particular time. Let them tell you what kind of action they want by experimenting with differing retrieves.

Try observing wounded baitfish. Pay attention to how they move in the water and try to mimic that with your lure.

Topwater plugging is an art. Think of it as making the lure dance on the surface to entice the fish to bite your offering. To me, this is the most rewarding way to catch them. Most of it is visual, watch some of the experienced guys to gain some insights.

The best thing for you to do is just go at it. Much time on the water will give you the experience to figure what retrieves work best in certain circumstances. A dear friend of mine once told me "The first time you catch a fish with that lure, memorize exactly what you did to catch him."

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Rugger...Good advice that Joey gave you. Like he said only time and more time on the water will give you the confidence to use each type of lure in a particular situation. What is working for you now may change in the blink of an eye. Only experience will tell you how to adjust and at times even that doesn't work. When you see guys like Jimmy Huston and Roland Martin making it look so easy on TV just remember that they've probably gone through a box of lures to produce that moment for TV. Good luck and get out there and pound the water.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I just let the fish tell me what retrive to use;If the fish are sluggish its the time to use a gentle twich and work it real slow.When the fish are active you can jerk a jig violently and catch them.Most of the time I use jigs;and thats how I fish them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts