Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give Matapeake a go last night due to the slow goings from SP. Tuna and RedDog were out giving it a go and Tuna said it was slow going once the tide rolled out. So I hit Severn Pier.. and to my surprise the only people there were leaving once I arrived. I stayed there for about 30minutes w/ one bite. I think that was a crab.

Anyways, headed to the Peake and dropped lines in the water about 11p. When I was headed to the pier, the people leaving were saying nothing was happening whatsoever. I only take that in to consideration after I've launched. Back to the lines in the water. Didn't even get a chance to set my chair up and other rod before my first was bending and jumping on the edge. I quickly grabbed and lifted to set (no need to had circles) and reeled away. When it was all said and done, a 161/2" rock. It gave a nice littel fight though. Casted back and a little less than 2 minutes another hit... JUMBO SPOT on and flick'n my strike light like no tomorrow. As the night progressed, they kept hitting. If I would've caught all including what I missed. I probably would've had about 20+Jumbo Spot, Blues and Perch. I ended up w/ about 12 + JS, 3P and 4/5 Blue.

If the weather is okay today I may have to give it another go, since my sticker doesn't run out until 11:05 tonight.

How's everyone else faired in their spots?

·
Registered
597 Posts
SP last night

Hey Huntsman,
Nice to see you had a good outing after all. As you said Tuna and I were at SP from around 6-10pm. It was really good early, catching croaker and spot (some were very large, largest I have ever seen) but after the tide went out the the wind changed directions the bit significatly slowed.
The ranger told us that a some of the people down the beach had some large flounder and blues from earlier in the day. I think I am going to head to SP early tomorrow and try to get me some of those blues. I just don't feel like fighting the beach traffic to get to SP tonight since HT is at 7:48pm.

RD

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Holiday weekend may make that trip a little hectic. I may fight it anyways, but we'll see. If you see me then you I'm there, if you don't then I may be tight lining elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey reddog1,

Did that ranger say what time those flatties were caught and what kind of bait? I just might head that way Sat, just depends on the traffic...Tightlines

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey hat,
No he didn't say but I think most of the fish were caught during or around the high tide. The one I know of was around 21", from what the ranger told me. They were catching a lot of blues apparently, largest 18" or so. I caught a flounder out there before on bloods with a 2/0 circle but it was only around 10". Must have been luck.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yeah have heard reports of summer flounder there before. Don't think people really try to fish for em much there. I sure would love to get me one this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.