Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So to tell of my fishing trip today, I'm going to start from the beginning.

Went to the Appomattox River around 4 PM today to get some shad so I can catfish tonight. Caught about 10-15 nice size shad and left around 5 PM.

I call my buddy up and tell him we're going to go to this private pier that I have access to at a friend's house on the Appomattox. A bunch of us guys from high school used to go down there all the time and catch nice size catfish 30 lbs and up.

I haven't been down there in a while, so I call a friend and he tells me he caught a 40 lber a couple days ago

So my friend and I pack our gear and we go out there with fresh shad for bait.

HERE IS WHERE THE ADVENTURE STARTS..

My friend LAUGHS when he sees me pull out my 12 foot OM rod with Daiwa Saltist 30H spooled with Suffix Tritanum Plus 17lb with BRAND NEW 40 LB shock leader wrapped around 10 times around my reel.

I have a fishfinder rig, 5 ounce weight, and a 9/0 circle hook.

So I cut a nice size piece of shad and heave that piece out there deep into the channel.

I'm trying to catch any catfish upwards of 40lbs, but its low tide and an hour before the tide starts turning.

I loosen the drag and set the clicker.

We sit there for 30 min, I say "'I'm going to head up to the car and get a drink."

When I'm halfway there, I hear my REEL SCREAMING!!!!

I haul my butt down there and see something spooling my line almost 150 yards out. (My friend doesn't know how to use conventional so he stands there like a big oaf.)

I start tightening my drag and I'm thinking "wow this is a nice size catfish."

After 30 min of fighting, i tighten my drag on max, and start reeling it in. The son of a gun fish surfaces and its a striper. EVERY TIME I GET IT CLOSE, it started fighting back and runs my 22lb drag(?) on my Daiwa Saltist like its NOTHING.

I managed to get it to the pier and since we didn't have a net, my friend and i grab the leader and we pull up and the leader snapped in our hands.....:eek:

From looking at the striper, I'd give a good estimate of 35 lb or more as the length was over 40" easily.

Needless to say...I was upset.

We fished a couple more hours and landed two 30 lb catfish and a lot of 5-7lbers. But...another time...another time...

We'll always have the one that gets away..

·
Registered
865 Posts
You would have had to turn it loose anyway, you touched the leader, so it sounds like a legal C&R of a nice fish for you.

. . . somewhere there is a joke about . . . . Hey Joe we need a bigger net. . . this sounds like one of those times.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This private pier is not like a fishing pier that most people are thinking of. It is one of those super super low piers where when it is high tide, you can lay down on the pier and touch the water.

After I lost the striper, my friend and I in hindsight realized that we could have "beached" the striper as the river bank is right there and it was low tide.

I always C&R for fish from the river regardless of the season being in or not :)

I just wanted a picture with :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.