Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yall, I have been wanting to ask you this question but I always forget.

Here goes...

When I go fishin at the local pier I walk on the beach for about a half mile to get there.
When I get there I have no problems, but after I get back to the house (following the same path after dark) i am ITCHING SO BAD!!!!!!!! :mad: My legs get huge patches of red rash that burns/itches terribly.

I usually wear jeans or sweats, but noticed it wearing shorts too. It is a terrible burning itching that lasts a couple of hours even after I take a shower. Nights when it has rained and I got wet the itch is the worst.

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to protect myself?

And no...I haven't been messing with any freaky beach chicks on the way home! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are sand fleas, but usually they look like small red dots and they do itch like crazy. Don't really know a solution to them. But I am sure the guys on this site know, because most of us who have fished on the beach or surfed growing up hve had sandflea bites, and most times its not one or two bites it's multiple and I mean multiple. Hope this helped. If you start scratchin while you casting for blues it may just make you lure more inticing, Ha Ha. :) [/LIST]

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I had the same problem a few years back(prior to joining the Marines).
What is biting are sandfleas(small flying insects,not the web master or the other name of them mole crabs).Those little sandfleas pack a bite,I use Skin-So-Soft mixed with a little rubbing alcohol(Parris Island Boot-Camp Special).

Try standing in attention 4 an hour(during an inspection) and those little critters are biting yer kneck.

OOh-Rah!
Semper Fi

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dramamine (car sick stuff) or any other antihistamine will relieve the itch. I have heard meat tenderizer will relieve the cause as well as NS4D suggestion. There is also hydrogen peroxide. Any pharmacist can help you.

Then again just rub that fish oil on ya! Nothing will jump your bones!
:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am starting to think my skin was just not used to the sand or something because it has not been as bad lately. I did use the peroxide and that helped. I think maybe I just needed to toughen up a little.

Nsearch4Drum -
Man that sounds pretty unpleasant. Every male member of my family has been in the Marines and I remember my dad telling me about being eaten alive by mosquitos in the jungles while on patrols in Vietnam. He said that lots of times you COULDNT move when in an ambush position and just had to endure it. Sounds like torture.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If Jake Ace sees this maybe he'll post the story of when we met a horde of angry 'skeeters in Hatteras. I would, but the emory is still too painful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts