Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to alarm anyone, but just curious about everyone's thoughts on THIS hurricanes potential damage or anihilation of W. Spit?! It was suggested on the radio that the Spit was created by a storm(hurricane) or series of storms long ago that created the wonderful feature we see everytime we cross over the HRBT. So, how high are the chances it could be wiped out? Anyone? It COULD happen, and I for one hope it doesn't, but it makes you think for sure..... Good Luck to all of you in and around that area!! You may well need it as the storm is reorganizing and gaining strength. Also, the path is more and more narrowed to hit this region HARD.......... ZOIKES!!!!!!!!!

Eye to the Sky,
Zigh
:jawdrop:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey Zigh, I was told (so don't hold me to it) that th spit was formed by a Cat 5 hurricane back in 17 something. If that is true than th spit should be alright. As far as all those nice apt and houses.....:eek:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bigger or smaller.......

Hey there Cdog, one thing's for sure, it'll be different after all of this. It's going to be interesting to see how all of the Tidewater's fishing spots are affected. From the piers, to the beaches, from the Spit's to the Inlet's, we'll get to see what kind of architect Mother Nature is. I hope after all this the fishing is good for awhile..... We will have earned it. Everybody be safe!!

Zigh
><((((*>
:)

·
Registered
634 Posts
well i live on the spit about 50 ft from the water...my apt is a 4 condo thingy on about 10ft high stilts, 2 apt on bottom ..2 on top...i dont think i have anything to worry about flooding unless the surge is about 15ft...but as far as the stablilty of this thing...:( ....when ppl run up the stairs...i can actually feel the house shake lol...only thing that might keep this thing in one piece is it is sandwiched between to 2 other complexes of the same type..separated by about 3 ft, what sucks is my landlord hasnt even called or came by to check the place out or have it boarded up, i have sliding glass windows that go out to my balcony which i'm worried about for sure..if they go..inside of my hosue gets a bath ..... tommorow i'm heading to suffolk...i wont be staying here..even if its a cat2.....theres alot of ppl on here that refuse to leave...and some of them live on ground level....at minimum this place will flood bad.but yes.. this place was created by a hurricane and only a hurricane can take it out.

"The claw-shaped shoal surfaced as a peninsula during the hurricane of 1749 and was later named for Capt. Thomas Willoughby who arrived in Virginia in 1610 and who owned more than 3,000 acres in nearby Ocean View"

theres really no way to know if the hurricane that created it was a CAT 5... because hurricane classifications weren't even around at the time...but i'm sure it was a strong one or atleast a direct hit on the mouth of the bay.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
One Thing's for Sure

If old Mother Nature wants to take the Spit, she will. She made the Spit and Oregon Inlet and the Chesapeake Bay and the mountians and all the stuff she can take apart if she wants to. But, for now the Spit is safe, it would take a lot more storm than we have now to take the Spit. Izzy might rearrange the tip a little but that's all. NOW my house is another story, it was built in 32 and took the big blow in 33 but, it's a bunch older now. I guess all any of us can do is hunker down and hold on.

·
Registered
634 Posts
well..a fire and rescue guy just knocked at my door..mandatory evac for the spit..i'm outta here..hope my computer and fishing poles make it lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts