Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little off topic for this forum, but there have been several comments about walleyes lately.

Yesterday, I hit the MD side of the Potomac just below Great Falls to see if any walleyes were around. Great day fishing…..in 1.5 hours, I caught 7 walleyes ranging from 15” to 24” and 3 catfish from 2 – 5 lbs. Invited three of the walleyes to dinner.

Lure of the day was a 5/8 oz yellow Eerie Deerie tipped with a whole nightcrawler.

To find the ‘eyes, go down the Billy Goat trail and look for large eddies/pools to fish. Climb down the rocks and cast into the current and across the calm water near the bottom. If you aren’t hitting rocks and getting occasional snags, you aren’t deep enough.

Caution – this is potentially dangerous fishing. You need to be in decent shape and somewhat coordinated to hike the trail and climb up/down the rocks – one slip and you could be in real trouble.

Amazing story – after about 5 fish, I lost my lure in the rocks on the bottom. Almost cut my finger off yanking on the PowerPro (note to self – bad idea). Switched over to ¼ jig and caught my original lure after about 10 minutes of fishing. The amazing thing about this is that the lure only had 2 inches of line hanging off, was in the rocks ~50 feet from shore, only has a single hook, and in a river with a lot of current. How the heck I managed to snag the lure is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey skeeter

Is the water clear or cloudy ?....did you hit the cat on the worms too ......maybe we need a fresh water forum too :D
Thanks Dre'

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water was a little cloudy - bringing in a fish, you could first see it about 2.5 feet down.

The cats were caught the same way as the eyes, same spot and same lures - bouncing the bottom.

The river was also a little high - there is a spot that I like on one of the islands. I couldn't get across the small channel w/o getting wet. Another couple of days without rain and the river should be perfect!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great report skeeter. Good to hear you are catching fish near home. I live right around Great Falls. Where exactly were you catching the walleyes? I have walked along the billy goat trail many times, but never fished that area. I have caught a good amount of smallies further south towards DC and near Swain's. I have yet to catch a walleye in the potomac.

Addicted

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Addicted,

I was below the first set of islands (Rocky Islands). Basically down the tow path past the big wall, right onto the start of the billy goat trail and down the rocks. There is a good eddy formed on the backside of the islands. From there, move further down river (a lot of rock scrambling) and fish the eddies downstream for another 1/4 mile in Mather Gorge.

Check out this map: http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/grfa/ppmaps/grfamap1.pdf

·
Registered
104 Posts
Awesome! I heard about 'eye's in the Potomac but didn't know much about it. I'm originally from Buffalo and we fish for them on lake erie all summer. My mom moved to potomac a few years ago too. Man, it would be awesome to get some 'eye fillets! Might have to make a trip home soon:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Walleye update - went down to the same spot on Friday afternoon - not a single hit from an eye! The water was abour 2 feet lower and very clear. Also, it was way too sunny with clear skies. Managed to bring in 4 nice looking catfish all around 2 lbs from another spot after scrambling around on the rocks. With all the rain yesterday and last night, things have probably changed.

There were two other guys fishing at the end of the islands - anyone from pierandsurf?

Fish bait - In my limited experience over the past several years, I have found the time of day doesn't seem to matter - the type of day is what is important. I have always had my best luck on overcast days - a light rain or snow is even better.

Jackson - I checked everywhere I could find and could not come up with any type of consumption advisory for the Potomac up around Great Falls. Anyone have any info on eating walleye in the non-tidal Potomac? They are delicious! Cooked a couple from the last trip on the grill with an orange/pecan crust.......my wife even thought it was great and she is a hardcore Salmon/Halibut fan.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Are the Eyes still there?

I was thinking about trying some freshwater fishing soon and I would love to catch some Walleyes.Are they still there?:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the same spot on the Potomac last Friday with my bro-in-law. The river had good color, but was about 2.5 feet too high and moving fast.

Not a single 'eye - managed to snag a 12 lb carp on a jig that put up a great fight on 6lb line in the current.

It seems like I have my best luck when the water is slightly off color and on the low side - this has not happend much this year with all the rain we have been getting.

I may give it another try this weekend - I'll post a report if anything is happening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well now your gettin into something I know a little more about. You are right on that you want the color off a bit and really the water up not down. Fishing the rivers up here around pittsburgh it seems after a good rain, a day or so later when the level is falling is when things turn on. So give it a day or so to calm down(depending on the amount of rain you get) and try it when its still high but falling. you guys are a bit behind us so you are getting what we call the fall feed before winter. if you have any wing dams or such on that river try there first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts