Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:DAwright fellas, I got my heaver the other day and have been puttin in work for my drum over the last few days. I'm going to hit it hard around 4 or 5 a.m. tomorrow and fish untill I pass out or have to be at work Wednesday morning, whichever comes first. People are catchin drum 15 minutes before I get there, or 15 minutes after I leave. No worries, I won't quit trying!!! Anyone else out there gettin skunked lately? Guess it'll be so worth it when I get my first one!!!!!!! :beer:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last few trips were decent, but no drum at all for me. Hoping to change that this Thursday and through the weekend. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Mike,have caught some this spring,but this fall seems to have a black cloud floating over me.. H8ll Tater's gottem one,and I ain't had but one bite all yr,that I know for sure was a drum....:rolleyes: Ain't givin up though,went through dry spells before and came out smoking,hopefully it's getttin ready to happen... ;)

One thing you will HAVE TO DO!! You have gotta get on the end and giver a swing to catch one....... ;)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
One thing you will HAVE TO DO!! You have gotta get on the end and giver a swing to catch one....... ;)
yep mike, alot of people have fished more then a few days w/out a fish...

and kenny, i hear ya on the black cloud, i had a troplical DEPRESSION over top of me this summer, it was un real.

Jesse

·
Registered
40 Posts
Was there (point) last night with them bitin'. My friend got a 42" and a 40," but no luck for me. I was hooked up but one of the point rookies cut me off. Saw a 45" landed.

Note to those fishin' out there: Leave the &%$^& braid at home!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slingblades,

Only surf fished on the OBX for a couple years, primarily at Oregon's Inlet. I've never fished the point. But, what's the biggest rookie mistake from your perspective. I'm not a braid user, my bass fishin days have me hooked on mono. So, that's not a challenge. But, any other advice?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Note to those fishin' out there: Leave the &%$^& braid at home!
humm , with all the crap posted about braid cutting mono out there in the net ; maybe you need to do a good search on that subject ...
cause one thing i can tell ya is ; there are more cut offs from googins fishing the point than there will ever be frpm braid cutting mono !

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sling did you get on the fish right before the weather opened up last night? It flooded like hell in my yard. Took the water maybe 15 minutes before it was 3 feet deep here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to step on toes....I Didn't say braid cut my mono, but I will say the major tangles out there yesterday WERE the result of braid being used. Its real fun trying to untangle that stuff from several other lines at night.

As far as advice goes, I always recommend getting out there and feeling out the point in the middle of the day. It is generally less crowded then. Fish it some just to get a feel for how things are, see how those fishing work their way around the point, and see the casting directions. When fish start biting, there is usually a general direction of "flow." Get at the end of the "line." You'll work your way toward the sweet spot. When someone has a fish on, do everything you can to help them work by you. You'll be off to a good start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mike I had just thrown out after my second time being cut off. That wind/rain hit like a ton of bricks. It took like 3 seconds. The place cleared out like someone threw a bunch of rattlesnakes in the middle of everyone. The temp dropped 12 degrees in like 20 minutes. looking back it was awesome.

If I could have casted again, I think I could have spooled my 30H. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
sling did you get on the fish right before the weather opened up last night? It flooded like hell in my yard. Took the water maybe 15 minutes before it was 3 feet deep here.
Mike,welcome to Frisco.. Nw winds in Frisco over 40mph in steady gust will manytimes flood us... ;) Anyother wind doesn't flood,but nw is like clockwork here... As far as the point,they definatly got sandblasted with rain sideways and wind howling,but other than being miserable,I'm sure they still coulda "stood sideways" and feeshed... :D

The pier was catching that night before the "ministorm" as well,saw one over two over 45fl while picking up Tater to take him home about 7:00,so he could go to school the next day,kicking and screaming... :D

Have seen it a few times where a nw wind comes outta nowhere and blows like that.. Also seen fish bite prior to that happening..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts