Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the York ditch from 2:30-7 yesterday. Used 1/8 oz hot pink roundhead jigs with 3" chartreuse grubs cut down to 2". Caught 1 pup with a lot of bumps in 2 hours. Thought about it for a while and decided I was gonna stick it out since it is a 100 mile round trip drive. I cut down a 4" split tail assassin to 1 1/2" and put it on the jig head. I was rewarded with a lot more bumps and 8 pups, the largest going an even 18". I was also treated to a shad jumping exhibition. For a period of time the ditch was flooded with shad. All fish released.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Did anybody fish for the shad? I used to fish for them with shad darts up on the Occoquan during their spring runs. They were a blast to catch on UL tackle.
I may need to make that 100 mile trek for some puppies to break my 0-fer-2003.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was the only one there when the shad showed up. If I had a speck rig I would have tried for them. I have also caught them on gotchas at NOB and IRI.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was using a silver sparkle over pink that I found at the ditch. I think the key was the cut down size and split tail. For all I know the fish might be saying, "That dummy in the cold has been throwing so much junk at us, let's humor him with a few bumps and the occasional sacrifice. Okay Slim, you first."

·
Registered
191 Posts
zup shoeless how ya been
whens the next time you are going to the y. ditch? would like to tag along one day i have not found either e. or y. ditch yet.
well good luck
hey i did catch this
:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts