Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Rondel asked about the concept of piers in Poquoson and the one at the end of Tidemill Roadwhich is currently a project under review at VMRC/RFAB . Well my answer got to long for a bmail by about 2500 characters so I decided to post it here and start some discussion. None of these are going to happen unless there is a fair to moderate level of support from the public. Anyway.

I do not know who catches what at Smith Landing (end of Tidemill Rd in York County near Tabb High School) It is way back up in the creek but there are usually a few people on the pier on any given weekend day when I launch my boat. The proposal is to lengthen the pier by 20 feet and add a 75 foot T-head, which I HOPE really is an L-head pointing in the other direction from the boat ramp..

In Poquoson I have heard about two different concepts for piers. Right now they are only talk and only among a few people. It is not even clear if there is much support for either option and with the huricane recovery cost there probably is no money.

The most ambitious (sp) is a relatively large pier on back cove at Mesick Point. If you go across the street from the boat ramp there is a field. On the other side of the field is an old pier. The concept is to put a lighted(?) “regulation” fishing pier that goes out to about 6-8 feet of water off of the south-west shore, something like 200 yards west of the jetty. My guess is that the pier would be longer than 200 to 300 feet and 8 to 10 feet wide. The concept was to use a good chunk of RFAB money and make the pier free to the public. My guess is that such a project would cost upwards of $200,000 to $300,000

The second thing, that has been discussed in private without that much action or seriousness, is less ambitious (i.e. money) would be to make three moderate sized 30 to 40 foot long 6 foot wide piers that would serve as dual purpose piers at the three public boat landings. They are located at the end of Cedar Road, the end of Rens Road and at the end of Hunts Neck Rd. Simple L-shaped piers with a sign indicating that boat launching and retrieval has priority over fishing would probably work well. My guess on the cost of these piers is about $10,000 each.

The first option would probably end up being a pier that serves both a local and regional fishermen. The second option, although open to everyone, would probably serve the local folks as the fishing is subject to tidal conditions, etc. One of the advantages that I see for the second option is that it will serve the 9 to 13 year old kids in town and provide them a chance to fish using their bicycles as they will only have to go a few miles to get to a place to fish.

How is that for an answer?

Who thinks that such projects are worthy and are willing to start a movement to get them to happen in the mid term?

Tom

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll help in any way I can. I have a feeling that means in a very limited way, but I really like the idea of having something for the kids. I grew up fishing in city creeks and branches (D.C.) or ponds anywhere I could, including cemetary ponds. Those are some of the fondest memories I have, my own Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn moments. I don't have kids of my own, but I wonder if children today have such opportunities. With all of the negative distractions facing them, we should all be more pro-active in creating more positive ones.

Tom, please keep me posted on developments, needs, etc.

James Ko

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys and gals. These limited discussion have mostly been between myself the city manager, the head of parks and recs. the city engineer and a city councilman or two. To move any of these projects forward will take.

1. More people thinking that they are good ideas.

2. City council members thinking that they are good ideas.

3. Overcoming the small town inertia that any change in the local situation is a bad thing.

I do not know where to start other than to say that any Poquoson residents or those that can influence Poquoson residents do something is a neat idea. If we had 100 city residents that wanted this and we were organized then we might make some progress. Anything less and we would probably get out gunned by the CanNotDoThatHere and NotWithMyTaxDollars guys.

So who is in and how many city residents can you drag in with you.

Who wants to be "Vickki" and lead this charge.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts