Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Safety First.. Long post with REASON,for newbees and regulars..
Since I ain't catchin what I should be right now,figured I'd throw in some tips about catchin what "you don't really wanna catch"
Skates: There are several ways to handle a skate,add more if you like..
Most folks grab the clear nose between the indexfinger and thumb and unhook. I've always done it this way I put my thumb on the underside of the clear nose well away from the mouth,then the sockets where thier nostils are positioned are soft I take my index finger and middle finger and use this as a "handle".. Works great,you can unhook the skate without having to lay him down on the planks or sand,and can keep fingers on the unhooking hand from gettin "nabbed" by the skates protruding mouth,or the prikely spines on his back and tail..
Smooth dogfish: these are probably the safer of the three I'm speaking of here. Only thing ya got to worry about is the larger ones are so strong they can wrap ya up like an anaconda.. I grab them by the back of the head and hang on for dear life while unhookin the rascals,but sometimes they are so strong they can wiggle thier way loose,then I'll lay em on the ground and unhook..
Spineys or Horndogs: these guys really do pose a problem for an angler that has never seen or handled one! They have barbs that are very infectious on thier dorsal and tail. I have always grabed simular to the smooth and held them away from my body and arms and unhooked.. I have learned that laying them down,placing your foot about where the peck fin is,holding the shark into position,unhooking,and grabing the end of the tail,holding the fish head down, is a better choice.. When you put your foot into that position it makes it difficult for him to get you with either spine..

REASON! : This week I have seen anglers,both novice and acomplished,get bit and spined repeatedly! I saw one man who has been fishing down there for close to 20 yr now get a horndog spine jabbed into his arm,looked as though it hit and artery.:eek: I have heard at least three grown men and one boy screaming like a baby,cause a skate protuded his lips and bit the devil out of them!! Some drew blood as well..
If any of you out there have some more or better tips,lettem fly! These are critters that have as much right as anything else to be in the ocean.. There is no need in killing them just so "we" the "intruders" are safe from thier natural defenses,IMHO..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-29-2003 05:35 AM

·
Registered
961 Posts
These are critters that have as much right as anything else to be in the ocean.. There is no need in killing them just so "we" the "intruders" are safe from thier natural defenses,IMHO..
You couldn't of said it better

·
Registered
251 Posts
safest way

You can all use the ol' 1mo method----cut the line....lol

just get as close to the hook as possible or as close as you wanna get to touching anything that looks like an abomination and clip,clip....This method works great for oyster toads too.

On a serious note.. I've always believed in never killing anything you're not gonna eat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Drumdum - If there's any way you could put together some pictures of the methods you describe in your post - even if they're with decoy fish - that might be helpful.

Also, what's wrong with letting the skate lay in the sand (it seems like you're recommending against that); last time I caught one I let him lay at the edge of the water and held a net over him while removing the hook (which was extremely difficult in that rubbery skin). Funny (or maybe not) I didn't know anything about protruding jaws and fortunately he didn't try using them on me! Talk about scream; an Aliens stunt like that would've been the end of me.

Thanks for your good advice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I aint ever been bitin by any of the fish you named except a skate and i will give all of yall this bit of advice.... STAY CLEAR OF A SKATES MOUTH!!! if ya aint payn attention they can and will throw there mouth out at'cha and it hurts soooo bad.you have all been warned ... "BEWARE OF THE MAN EATING SKATES!!!" thats what all of my friends say when they make fun of my skate attack:eek:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can we extend that to not cutting tails off of skate or stingrays - to "prevent them hurting someone"? Help educate those less fortunate than ourselves by pointing out the error of their ways.

And to those that leave their catch to expire on the boards or sand, and then don't take then for food - a pox on them. Sorry, got carried away. Those fish deserve to live too.

Happy holidays.

·
Registered
107 Posts
when you cut the tail off of a ray it doesnt mean that "its not gonna hurt anyone" because we cut the tail off a we bit before the stinger so that they still have a defense. I dont know if it does anything to the ray as far as side effects or anything but ive caught plenty of rays without there tail and they all looked fine. just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no tails

I've read somewere that female skates and rays do not have tails am I wrong? Somebody straighen me out.

The skates you've caught with no tails were probably female

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I've read somewere that female skates and rays do not have tails am I wrong? Somebody straighen me out
1Mo, I believe all skates have tails. Some types of rays have smaller tails.

when you cut the tail off of a ray it doesnt mean that "its not gonna hurt anyone" because we cut the tail off a we bit before the stinger so that they still have a defense.
Bassboy15, not to seem rude, but why would you cut th tail off?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I stand corrected

Thanks Cdog, But are you trying to tell me that all those skates I've pulled in with no tails have been mutilated?

I too must ask why--why would anyone cause intentional harm to a creature that is only trying to survive. We as sportsmen only visit the skates home turf for our relaxation. He has to live and die by sea..... Use the 1mo method.....cut the line

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like i said once I have seen no harm in doing this to the animal but its just kinda cool because of most of the rays that are caught most people cut the tail off one so that if its caught again you know that he had already been caught by some one else. its kinda like a much cheaper version of tagging and if you catch a "fresh" ray it was pretty rare and i will always remember one day that we were fishin at harrisons and one of the guys caught a ray that when we decked got blood on him after he cut the tail off and we had gaffed it through the wing "keep in mind these rays are extremly durable" so after we cut the tail we got him back in the water and he swam away and we didnt see him anymore. Then a few hours later the SAME exact ray was caught by someone else and it was just kinda cool to see that he was still swimmin around the same place where we had supposedly caused such extreme pain to this fish and he was still live and flappin when we caught him the second time. Us harrisons boys have done this for a long time and i know that sometime this year we caught more then a few rays that we had caught a year or 2 back and they were still fine so like i said ive found that it does nothing to the survival of the fish it might feel a little awkward at first. And like i said before these fish are extremly tough. and anybody who thinks that this is mean and hurts the fish how do you think all of those croaker feel while there layin in that freezin cold dark cooler of yours?? :rolleyes: j/k oh and i dont cut the tails of skates aint no reason for that and we only cut the tails on the big rays like the 30+ lbs'ers

·
Registered
251 Posts
different opinions are good

The main point of the discussion for me is that we eat the croakers which is totally different, If you're not going to eat it let it go.

I'm quite sure you could survive without your pinky finger but I don't think you would want anyone chopping it off for their amusment. And if your hungry before they chop off your little finger you will still be hungry after it's gone.

Just my .02

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with you fully but the way i see it is one that there arent that many natural predators that feed off rays so even if they do die which is rare,you know what there carcass is gonna be food for more skates and rays ya know if ya think about it ,it all comes back around. So actually i eat it beacuse other things eat it. Plus i stand by what i said before and like you said it doesnt kill it to cut off the tail and i dont cut the tail from everyone that i catch actually when i think about it i think ive only cut like 2 or 3 out of i dont have a clue on how many ive caught plus goin back to the croakers kinda say your striper fishing with eels ok so they are hooked stay in the water all day where they are suppossed to be and then you pack up to go and where do your eels go??? back into the water with a hole through there tail or head same way with minnows and things like that.:jawdrop: poor poor minows!!! "joke"

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I can't go along with cutting off the tail. The creature is traumatized enough by being caught anyway. I think it's an important concept to leave nature the way you found it.

Fred.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
1Mo,can't speak to what you have caught but all th skates I have caught had tails. Th males have "claspers" underneath their tail. I may be wrong but its true with sharks so I figgure its th same with skates.

Is this what you have been catching? Skate

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea Cdog ive caught skates with "claspers" or atleast thats what i always figured they were i think your right with that but i dont know either. and no i dont cut them off :p

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Got a photo of a Horndog?

Never have seen one!

Don't forget about our friend the Stargazer.

They have a nasty top fin and that organ that can give you a shock.

Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
bassboy,
You may be right about this not killing the skate but you are wrong about them not having natural predators. I know there are various types of sharks that will eat a ray, or anything else they can get in their mouth. The fact that you say you "only" do this on rays of over 30 pounds does not make it any better. Even if you dont care as to the welfare of the animal, at least think of the way that looks for our sport. Thats the type of thing the PETA type people love to latch on to. As for calling it a cheap tagging method, thats crap. Tagging does no harm to the animal. If you want to see if you caught the same ray, buy some tags please. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but thats just a bit much for me to stomach without offering my two cents.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Got a photo of a Horndog?

HighCap56 said:
Never have seen one!

Don't forget about our friend the Stargazer.

They have a nasty top fin and that organ that can give you a shock.

Bob
I'll see what I can do to get photos of horndogs,skates,and smooth doggies,shouldn't be a problem,there's sure more of them than drummies and stripers this yr...
:rolleyes: :D
Jedi-Angler,I'll try to get a pic of unhooking all of the above if I can.. Not trying to say puting skates on the ground or planks to unhook is a bad idea,just that using the "handle method", described above,will open his mouth for a second or two,giving you the oportunity to get the hook out before those "seamonsterlips"jump out there and grab your finger... :eek: :D
On another board,a friend of mine came up with this idea,bend the barb on your circle hook when catching and releasing drum(you'll catch plenty of skates in the process) Makes everything easier to unhook,and with it being a circle,the bend of the hook alone will keep them "buttoned up"....

I'm with Plank Caster,no need in mutilating any of these critters,they all have a place in the order! And probably doesn't hurt without a tail,but,I'm sure it was put there for a purpose in the sceme of things..;)
And Cdog is right there are rays with some very short tails that are "standard equipment".. :D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Leather Skates

I was out at the Cape Henlopen pier in DE this weekend and saw four skates that were dried up like leather and left to die, my son asked why people would do something like that, I told him that some people are ignorant and just have no respect for nature:mad:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts