Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first went to Old Inlet in 1975 in mid May.Back then the clerks and clients were as short and crappy as could be.Since then I've stopped in there many times and in all that time many of the faces haven't even changed.
I've concluded that if you're not part of the regular"inner circle" you're gonna get treated like a PITA and crapped-on as far as prices go as well.Also those clowns will TRY to pass crappy bait on you if they think you're a"tourist fisherman".reelseat

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Over towards that way some of the people there treat me like a no nothing tourist.But,you find most of the people over there are nice and willing to help.People pretty mutch have attitudes nomader where you go,but most of the people will be kind and help you out when needed. :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
To be honest there are a few clerks who will help you out. Since I live in Bethany during the summer, I find the more times I go in, the nicer they get. So, by August I feel like a regular!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always found the people at Bill's Sport Shop in Lewes and B & R Tackle in Bethany (those are the two shops closest to Old Inlet to the North and South) extremely friendly, even when I first went to each one.

The DE Coast tackle shops really are much cheaper than the Chesapeake MD shops (even without factoring in no sales tax) and they have a LOT of tackle that is unavaliable in the MD shops.....the MD Chesapeake shops really seem stuck in a time warp at times, not on the cutting edge.

They also have FAR more items oriented towards pier and surf fishermen; the MD Chesapeake shops are for boaters, boaters, and boaters.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I don't recall seeing alot of surf around the bay. I wounder why they would orient to boaters? I fish from a boat a pier or anyplace else there are fish. Never had a problem finding what I need in a Bay tackle shop. Guess you just need to know where to go....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Del. tackle store have just as mutch or more than Angelers or Bass Pro.I like Bills and R&R's,though Old Inlet has the best selection of rods and reels than anyone over there.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I have gone to Old Inlet for about 3 years now. There is 1 younger guy (about mid 20's)
who is super nice. There is also another guy
who has a white beard (late 40's to early 50's) who is really nice also. I usually get one of those two. The rude one is about (mid to late 60's?). He is also the one who acted like I did something wrong when I asked if he had any Green Crabs. They did not and he tried to sell me some crap bait like I did not know any better. I ran into some of his customers down at the inlet and they would have had better luck using bare hooks then what they got from him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts